Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glory285

Lasagna gardebning for a newbie

glory285
12 years ago

Hi everyone! I'm a very newbie gardener, and mostly because we bought a house that has alot of flower beds that are getting overgrown with weeds or didn't have anything in them. But since i've started planting flowers and perusing these forums, i've decided i quite enjoy it!

So i have a question, this lasagna gardening, can i do it around plants that i've already planted? for example, in one of the beds thats 13 feet by 2 feet, i've planted 3 knockout rose bushes and two butterfly bushes. I planted these and didn't realize how clay like the soil was, they seem to be doing well, but i'd like to amend the soil around them. I've already mixed in 4 bags of compost/manure that i got from the garden center where i bought the plants from, but the soil is still thick and dense. Can i put the cardboard/newspaper down around the plants and build it that way?

Second question, we have two very LARGE flower beds that are pretty much overgrown with english ivy/poison ivy/various weeds/canada thistle. Can i build a lasagna garden right over them or do i have to kill it all with herbicides and then put the lasagna garden over it?

This lasagna gardening method really appeals to me because im kinda lazy and this seems like a great way to amend the soil, plus i've got a friend who has 4 horses, so LOTS of manure/compost that i could use. I live in Indianapolis, Indiana and im not sure what zone im in, i think 5?

Comments (2)