Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lasagna gardebning for a newbie

Posted by glory285 none (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 22, 11 at 14:36

Hi everyone! I'm a very newbie gardener, and mostly because we bought a house that has alot of flower beds that are getting overgrown with weeds or didn't have anything in them. But since i've started planting flowers and perusing these forums, i've decided i quite enjoy it!

So i have a question, this lasagna gardening, can i do it around plants that i've already planted? for example, in one of the beds thats 13 feet by 2 feet, i've planted 3 knockout rose bushes and two butterfly bushes. I planted these and didn't realize how clay like the soil was, they seem to be doing well, but i'd like to amend the soil around them. I've already mixed in 4 bags of compost/manure that i got from the garden center where i bought the plants from, but the soil is still thick and dense. Can i put the cardboard/newspaper down around the plants and build it that way?

Second question, we have two very LARGE flower beds that are pretty much overgrown with english ivy/poison ivy/various weeds/canada thistle. Can i build a lasagna garden right over them or do i have to kill it all with herbicides and then put the lasagna garden over it?

This lasagna gardening method really appeals to me because im kinda lazy and this seems like a great way to amend the soil, plus i've got a friend who has 4 horses, so LOTS of manure/compost that i could use. I live in Indianapolis, Indiana and im not sure what zone im in, i think 5?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lasagna gardebning for a newbie

Glory285 do a search in GW forums for Lasagna gardening and you will find postings about it. Mostly Ruth-Ann gardens this way, I also am starting one. I did research by googling it. I just started mine, so I can't give much info yet. But there are lots of posts elsewhere here to learn about it.

Absolutely no idea what all those links above are, but try a search in GW and on Google and you will find lots of helpful information on this sort of gardening. :)

~Tina Marie

o
RE: Lasagna gardebning for a newbie

The links are just spam. This site doesn't monitor that junk very well.

Are the beds you have raised beds, or flat, ground-level beds? If they're raised, it's probably because of the clay.

The first thing to do is to have your soil tested (about $10), and see what you're dealing with. There's clay soil and there's awful clay soil.

Contact your local Cooperative Extension Service/Master Gardener and ask who does it near you. Your CES is at Purdue: http://www.hort.purdue.edu/mg/ Contact info is at the very bottom of the page.

Below is a link on how to collect a soil sample. If you don't do it right, it can throw off the results. Use a new metal or clean plastic trowel for collection. A rusty tool will contaminate the sample.

If you are growing organically, write ORGANIC on the form that goes with the soil sample, or they'll give you chemical farming info.

The test results are usually mailed to you, with recommendations. If you don't understand it, call the lab and ask, or your Master Gardener at CES.

If you do mulching (aka lasagna gardening), leave a gap around the plant stem or trunk.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to collect a soil sample

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here