Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tired_of_digging

Depth perception problem

tired_of_digging
19 years ago

I get many comments about uneven ground in my garden. The mounds and dents are neither part of landscape design (To make a hill, or a pond), nor an elaborate attempt to trap rainwater and reduce soil erosion. These are the results of routine gardening activities, such as planting a new shrub, relocating existing ones and digging-out bulbs. Because of a cross-eyed anomaly, I perceive only with my left eye. Although my right eye is fully functional, the brain can use only the other eye, therefore creating an image which lacks depth. That's why I cannot play Tennis, for instance, but I can drive safely, because I can see where everything is located on the street, and the constantly changing angle of view as I drive gives some depth perception.

I need to flatten the area, because the walking path is constantly covered with soil from the edges. I thought about using a wire grid, like the one builders use to pave an area. However, I'm inexperienced with such large areas, and the garden is already planted. Is there a better way to do that ?

Comments (8)

• Yellow22
    19 years ago

I may be able to help with an idea, I'm guessing nobody else is offering because it's not clear on how your going to use the grid material. I work with some people who have even a difficult time with a painted concrete path. Is there a way you can post a picture or provide more details about the path other than the soil seems to be into it?

• vetivert8
    19 years ago

You may want to plant edging material beside the path. As you are z10, permanent tough stuff may include, for you, green mondo grass, or (gulp)Agapanthus, which will hold the earth back from the path and increase your safety.

If your garden needs levelling because ground has subsided after you've moved things - call in a friend. One of those who comment on the current layout, would probably do, and attach them to a yard rake while you shovel soil at their direction!

A sneaky way past some of the problem would be to smother large areas in mulch and blame any irregularities on the birds, fossicking for insects...

For me, the key thing would be to increase your safety in the garden by stopping the soil drift and run-off onto the path. You might want to put in some form of low retaining wall - even treated 2x1 if the path is reasonably straight and hold the soil with plantings.

Safe gardening.

• ellen_
    19 years ago

I don't have a problem with depth perception, but am totally blind. So the way I make sure areas are level or curved as I want them is to move the soil with my hands. Sometimes I also use small tools, but my hands and touch guide where the soil should be placed. Get your hands in the soil and move it or shape it as you need it.

• moosemac
    19 years ago

I've had the same problem with depth perception all my life. I level my garden by "feel" rather than sight. It's taken years of practice to rake with some success. My raking is certianly not perfect but I mulch everything by hand so it hides a multiutde of sins.
    You ought to try downhill skiing moguls with no depth perception; it's quite an "exhilirating" experience! :-)

• WPalm033
    19 years ago

Ellen, if you are totally blind then how can you see this? Just curious :)

• ellen_
    19 years ago

I'm sorry what are you asking me about being able to see? If a picture was included my speech program doesn't include it. I just go pushing through the mud, (that's what we have now) or soil. Anything else you're asking me to look at?
    Ellen

• WPalm033
    19 years ago

No I didn't include a picture. You stated that you were completly blind so I was wondering how you are able to navigate a computer or even this forum, in other words how are you able to see what I am typing?

• ellen_
    19 years ago

Sorry, didn't check this forum out for a bit, just saw your question. I read messages, all computer information via a speech synthesizer and a braille display. A couple of speech programs are out there. I prefer one which is called JAWS.