Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
watson_gw

accessible ponds

watson
21 years ago

Hi all..

A pond with raised sides is pleasant and accessible. Once the heavy work is done, routine maintenance is very light because routinr digging and weeding is not needed.

A narrow layout is easy to reach. Edges 12-16" above ground keeps pond contents within view and reach. An 8-12" wide rim is handy for tools and seating.

Except for super serious koi ponds, garden ponds can be 20-24" deep. Which means digging only 12" for foundations and the underground portion.

What design and materials would you select for the pond shell? What features? What would you put in the pond?

Cheers..

Comments (7)

• leah_zone5
    21 years ago

I've been eyeballing steel oval stock tanks. I'd like to set a large one about 3/4 in the ground. The rim above ground would help prevent debris from being blown in. This is a problem with the cheapy walmart shell I have now. I have chickens and dogs that also use my pond. Maybe get some rock seats to place around it or who knows.

• Lotta_Fruit
    21 years ago

Check out the new black rubber stock tanks, and feeders. At TSC and COOPs in TN. We have had some of the rubber feeder pans for years. freezing doesn't hurt them. They are from about 18 inches across to big water tanks. I think they would be great.

• Fireraven9
    21 years ago

How well does a raised pond (and the fish in them) overwinter? I can hardly enjoy the pond my daughter dug for me some years ago (24' deep vinyl liner and flagstone around it) as it is at ground level and I cannot do any of the work on it (aside from feeding the fancy goldfish) and have to get my husband to do it. Eventually we will be building a house across the meadow and a new pond will be built there. The land is slightly sloped so one side would be tucked into the hill and the other freestanding. Maybe a thick wall of earth and stone on the exposed side would insulate enough to keep the pond from freezing more than the top 6 inches? It would be good to be able to sit on the edge too. I like the stock tank idea since we have animals (birds, stray dogs, coyotes, etc.) taking a dip and a drink in the pond now and then and I worry that the thin liner will tear someday.

Lee AKA Fireraven9
    Great woods, you frighten me like cathedrals;
    You howl like an organ; and our hearts of misery,
    Rooms of eternal mourning where quiver ancient rattles,
    Answer the echoes of your from the depths I've come to Thee.
    - Charles Baudelaire, Obsession

• Fireraven9
    21 years ago

I asked on the ponds forum if anyone had done it and got some good info. I really like the idea of having a couple sides in the earth on the slope side and the front freestanding. I suspect we will have the new pond set up that way so I can work on it too.

Lee AKA Fireraven9
    Great woods, you frighten me like cathedrals;
    You howl like an organ; and our hearts of misery,
    Rooms of eternal mourning where quiver ancient rattles,
    Answer the echoes of your from the depths I've come to Thee.
    - Charles Baudelaire, Obsession

Here is a link that might be useful: Pond Forum - Anyone have a pond that is above ground?

• Fireraven9
    21 years ago

Another lovely design below!

Fireraven9

Here is a link that might be useful: PETE AND LINDA'S POND

• Chef_Wil
    21 years ago

Hi All,
    A follow-up from a ponder, I have a small pond that is only 18 inches deep, 39" wide and 68" long and is a lot of fun to have. I set it 9" into the ground and used cinder blocks around the outside of that. The pond is accessible from one side and I have a "disposable" mint where I would put a seat if I had too. I used re-bar to anchor the cinder blocks into the ground and mortared it all in place. To keep a "natural look", no pond is natural in reality, I burmed the edges and then made it into a rock and herb garden. The side of the garden is raised about 9 inches above the lawn and then capped with slate. By raising the garden area and then the pond above that I did away with run-off problems and with blowing leaves for a large part.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our garden and pond

• naturelover52
    21 years ago

I have a 35 gallon black container with 3 shelves that I bought from Home Depot with 10% coupon and added waterfall on the edge of the container. Then put water plants on those shelves and add goldfish that I got free from using superpetmarket coupons. Use red lights in the water on bottom for nice night time viewing that is nice for husband and wife together to romance. Pour pea size river rocks(Home Depot or Lowe's with 10% coupons with same as cash for 6 months that is much easy to pay little each month) around the fish pond with 2 bench to sit.
    Then I had to add chicken wires and heavy nice bricks on edge of the container cuz of loose neighborhood cats got my goldfish twice. So far it works fine and enjoy the fish nature right in my yard.