Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hollyhocks with rust.

Posted by tojohnso Zone 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 31, 09 at 18:41

We have two hollyhocks that were attacked by some kind of fungus, that just distroyed the leaves. I read that this stuff was called rust, and that it would be a good idea to cut the plants down to the ground, bag them, or burn them. I did the cutting, and bagged them, and the bags were taken away. Now I see that in just a matter of weeks the plants are coming back. The leaves look healthy, and beautiful. What should I do to keep the rust from takeing hold again?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hollyhocks with rust.

I think I posted my question to the wrong forum, but maybe someone here can answer it anyway.

Thanks

o
RE: Hollyhocks with rust.

Taken form a website by just typing in Plant Rust

Plant rust is a general term that refers to a rather large family of fungi that attack plants. Frequently, when a plant is affected by rust fungi, many gardeners feel at a loss as to what to do. Rust treatment as a plant disease is startling but can be treated.
Symptoms of plant rust

Rust fungi are very easy to identify on the plant. It can be characterized by a rust color on plant leaves and stems. The rust will start out as flecks and will eventually grow into bumps. The plant rust will most likely appear on the underside of the leaves of the plant.

The good news is that there are so many kinds of rust fungi and they are so plant specific, that if you see the rust color on plant leaves of one type of plant, you will not see it appear any other types of plants in your yard.
Rust treatment for this plant disease

For rust fungi, prevention is the best defense. Rust thrives in a wet environment, so do not overwater your plants. Also make sure that your plants have good air circulation in side the branches and around the plant itself. This will help it dry off its leaves faster.

If plant rust does affect your plant, removed affected leaves at the first sign of rust color on plant leaves. The faster the affected leaves can be removed, the better chance your plant has for survival. Be sure to dispose of these leaves. Do not compost them.

Then treat your plant with a fungicide. Continue to remove leaves and treat the plant until all signs of the plant rust are gone.

This a great forum to exchange ideals, but many times an answer can be found by just typing in a question in order to find a answer. I prefer Google search to get for me better results, but that is only a preference for me.
Paul

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here