Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leward_gw

love to garden - arthritic knees

leward
21 years ago

Hi everyone out there.

I need help. I have intermittent very painful knees, and when they are really bad, I can't bend to plant, weed or even do much watering.

What are some of things people have devised to make things a little easier? I am new to this forum and am eagerly awaiting answers. Please tell me what have some of you done?

Elly

Comments (11)

• mrsbeasley
    21 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have raised beds made from 2x4's. It started innocently enough--I built a compost bin. My husband was raking leaves and bagging them. I hated the thoughts of wasting all that good compost, and I had a number of 4 foot long 2x4's. I cross-piled the boards, (sorta like the # sign) and made it about waist high. I dumped a bag of leaves in, covered that with dirt and greens, added another bag of leaves, more dirt and kitchen scraps etc. When the bin was full, I ended it with dirt. It looked so nice, I planted some cucumbers in it. But then I didn't have a compost bin. So I built another bin about 4 feet away from the first.

I filled the second bin gradually over the summer, and the compost worked under the cucumber plants all summer.

The second spring, I joined the 2 bins together. I took some boards off the top and brought the gardens down to about 20 inches. (a nice sitting height) I moved the dirt together, anything that hadn't yet composted was buried. I now had a garden that was 12 feet long and 4 feet wide. But I didn't have a compost bin!

I took the boards I had removed to lower the height, and built another bin same as the first. I filled it all summer and planted something in it the following spring. Of course, when you plant directly in the compost bin, you lose that for compost, and gain another garden. The dirt is the best!

I currently have 5 raised garden beds. I have 3 that are 4 feet x 12 feet, 1 bed that is 4' x 8' and one that is 4' x 4'.

I have severe arthritis now, and am unable to build my own beds, but I get my husband to pile the boards where I want them.

These beds are just made out of rough 2x4's and are nothing fancy to look at, but they are in the back yard, and I grow the lushest, nicest vegetables of anyone I know. They are growing in the best dirt that can be had, and because there is no need of paths, the plants can be set closer to each other. For instance, I plant carrots and beets in rows that are 4 inches apart.

The first year that I plant in a bed there are usually a quite a few weeds, but I pull them as soon as I see them. They never have a chance to go to seed, and the next year there are hardly any weeds. I think that the only weeds that sprout in any of the gardens are ones that have been blown in from elsewhere.
    I dig a deep hole to plant my tomatoes, squash, peppers etc, and I plant them in the bottom of the hole. This method is a real water saver, just water into the hole, and the water stays where it's needed instead of running out. I plant my row things in trenches that I've dug into the dirt.

There are many good sites on the net showing raised beds. Some of them are very attractive. Mine are very rustic looking, but they are in the back yard. This year I plastered my newest garden with paper adobe. It looks like stone, and is quite pleasing to look at. I did it in May, and it still looks great. If it still looks good next spring, I intend to build the same sort of bed in the front of my house for flowers.

• mtgirl
    21 years ago

Hi Elly My knees are very bad also Impossible to get down and back up as I live alone. I have to hire ssome neighbr boys to do the big things for me. One thing I have done more of this year is container gardening--for instance all my annuals almost are in containers as the frost will get them and then I can reuse them next year. I use a lot of mulch to cut down on weeding And I use a plastic chair (the kind sold eveywhre to tote around to where I want to work and sit while weeding and even hoeing sometimes. I dont care what the neighbors think-it helps conserve my strength. I use a kitchen timer also to use so I dont overdo myself. I set it for 15 minutes and make myself change jobs in 15 minutes so that my knees get some exercise in moving about .I use a wheelbarrow to move everything so I dont have to carry so much and I use minitools when I can instead of large ones with full handles. And if I cant move on a given day because the weather has my knees aching I find something else to do for that day as a garden chore such as washing pots or flats or gathering eeds and drying them etc. Hope you keep gardening as long as you can.

• Elly1
    21 years ago

Hi Mrs.Beasley and Mtgirl,
    Thanks a lot for your input. I live in a condo and I cannot do the raised bed thing, but many of the other suggestions are great. As I said, the pain is intermittent, so when I don't have it I go to town. I will continue to check in on this site. It is a wonderful one and I am so glad I found it!
    Again thanks a lot,
    Elly
    P.S - my user name was leward, but now it is Elly1

• mehitabel
    21 years ago

Hi Elly. I have one very bad knee, but believe it or not, one knee that won't support you prevents any kneeling or spading. I haven't gardened for years except in pots, but got very interested in resuming it and building a garden lately after having read posts on the Garden Web.

But still, can't kneel or dig. I recently read Ruth Stout's book "No work garden book", and she recommends a 12" layer of hay as a mulch summer and winter. That completely smothers most weeds, and weakens the rest; it also breaks down continually so the soil gets richer and richer and does not need digging or turning over. If you can't get hay, straw is okay, but has to be 12" deep.

To improve the looks, you could cover it with a thin layer of cedar mulch on top.

Haven't tried it yet, but that and the lasagne method of building your compost where you intend to plant was what I was planning to try.

• grannyant
    21 years ago

Hello Leward

I don't kneel anymore, but luckily I can still bend in the middle. To help, I have gathered together a collection of short handled, small headed garden tools, that I have shortened further, each to its most comfortable length, according to its use. It might be worth considering altering the odd tool for use on your can't kneel days. . . May

• bluebird70
    21 years ago

I too, have severe arthritis in my knees/hips/hands, and I'm a very frustrated gardener. I'm about to build some raised beds, but I wanted to use those corner things (made of metal) that you can pile 2x10s or 2x8s into, to make them, however I can only find them in one place garden.com and they cost more than I can afford right now.

I like the idea of piling the boards like the # and I think that might work.. so I appreciate that idea..and you really helped me also with what all to put INTO it. :) I like the idea of making my OWN dirt by using a LITTLE dirt and a lot of leaves, grass etc... dirt just costs too much to buy too, and on top of that.. there is NO way into my back yard except THROUGH my house. (We live in a row house in PA)

I am so happy with these forums..I have learned SO much!
    Mindy

• Elly1
    21 years ago

Thanks everybody,
    It is so nice to know that there other people with some of the same problems. I really appreciate all of your input, and am so glad there is an accessible gardening forum for us.
    I'll be in touch,
    Elly

• msgaz
    21 years ago

I also suffer from Arthritic knees and have had two hip replacements and one hip revision. I was off work for 10 months(just returned a week ago, parttime only for now on) This summer it was to the point that I could no longer garden down and dirty, I tried container gardening,I found I can grow more in containers than in the ground. Which took me into growing from seed, which led me into seed swapping. I discoved this web site and fellow garden enthusiast to communicate with,which help me through the loneliness. I also am going to try winter sowing this year. So my arthritis has led me into new directions and a healthy new hobby.

• bluebird70
    21 years ago

msgaz, that's fabulous.. amazing where God finds ways to make us happy..even in dark situations! :) I'm glad for you, and I too have learned more about gardening since my knees went, than when I was up and around! I'm hoping to learn more and more each year..and be able to teach others some day! :)

Take care all...
    Mindy

• Elly1
    21 years ago

Hello again everybody,
    Thanks more than I can say for all your help. It looks, however, like there is something I need to explain. My original screen name was leward, but as soon as Elly1 became available I took it. I just want you all to know that the person who is thanking you is the person who wrote the original post. I'm new to the Internet, so forgive me if there a few little things (and big ones) that I don't understand.
    I'll be in touch,
    Elly
    P.S.
    I love this forum!

• foryou2
    21 years ago

Elly, I've used to 25 gal plastic pots upside down and put on two 8' x 2" boards, I also use a foot stool for sitting or a metal bucket to sit on. I also have cheap plastic picnic tables or benches which I use to put the pots on. I can then use a foot stool and pillow for my bottom. There is always a way. I have a spinel injury which is not going away, I love to garden, and will be doing so the rest of my life.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH