Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mes111

herniated disc - must rethink garden

mes111
16 years ago

Just came out of the hospital with the deaded diagnosis.. Needless to say future bending will be limited but I don't want to give up my veggie garden.

Sooo...My current veggie garden is roughly a 4 ft. by 60 foot strip. I am thinking of cementing this area over and building an ELEVATED ( waist high off the ground) raised bed(s). I am thinking of cedar boxe(s) with each being 36 inches wide 18 inches deep and 6-8 feet long. Any comments on my specs??? Are there any sources for this type of stuff ready made??? .

Any suggestions, ideas , modififications would be appreciated.

I am in Long Island, New York

Thanx

MES111

Comments (15)

• oakleif
    16 years ago

welcome mes,sorry about your back and hope all goes well with you. There are some others here doing container gardening that will post for you more info.
    What kind of veggies did you have in mind. I think the deeper rooted ones will want a deeper depth more like 30". like tomatoes,peppers etc.... The other dementions sound great to me

I've been looking for a container source but have'nt found one yet. Will keep looking.
    vickie

• mes111
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oakleif:

I grow mainly tomatoes, cukes, peppers and herbs of different varieties. I had some decent success with the Earth boxes and they are only 15 inches or so deep.

Here is something that I found that might fit the bill:

http://www.emilysplants.com/My_store_pages/cedargardencenter.html

MES111

• susz52
    16 years ago

I fancied building a narrow work-bench like structure with a slotted bottom to meet height/bending requirements. The greenhouses in my area use these structures both in and outdoors. These growing benches are quit long and portable. I asked and was told if the pot is heavy enough wind isn't an issue. I find that hard to believe so on that score I haven't decided what I'm going to do. I do know that flexibility is key for me, than to build a hard structure I can't adapt as needs must. I've grown many veggies and flowers in pots and think diameter is more important than a lot of depth. You really only need enough depth to allow feeder root development if you provide good physical support to the plant itself. Big plants like tomatoes, I allow for 15 inches. An english cucumber and cherry tomatoes will grow in a hanging pot just like strawberrries. I do this for annuals and perrenials Even before my back problems I've been cheating on the amount of soil I put into pots to reduce weight and found depth was not issue but nutrition and moisture retention is. I don't know that I'm of any assistance, but a lot of the fun of gardening is being creative and going outside the box to try something unique. My very elderly neighbour grows cukes and tomatoes along his chainlink fence from tall boxes and ties them up and up. Have some fun, let's speculate a little. Susan

• anaerobic
    16 years ago

Look at Raised Beds for Wheelchair Gardeners on page 1 of this forum for an inexpensive way to build a raised bed.

• luna_llena_feliz
    16 years ago

That cedar garden looks very nice. Thank you for sharing, mes111!

I have read quite a few books on accessible gardening. Most of them gave dimensions for raised beds for people who are wheelchair bound (about 24 to 30 inches). The height would be different if you plan to stand while gardening. So decide if you will be sitting or standing and what height will work for you.

I am sorry to hear about your back, mes111! But you will find some sympathetic and ingenious people in this forum to offer you great advice for gardening despite physical challenges.

• jksranch
    16 years ago

mes111 There is an automobile repair shop in town that has a whole veggy garden planted in livestock feed bunkers. They last forever has a wide base and can even be modified to grow vining plants. They are available at most feedstores around here.

• vic01
    16 years ago

mes111, a herniated disc a few years ago turned out to be also a fractured vertebra. I was told no more gardening...sure..NOT. DH made some homemade earthboxes from 18 gallon totes. We raise peppers, tomatoes, herbs and anything we want in them.. I can even sit on the side of the box if I have to take a break. I can't get by without gardening and this gives me a way to do it even with back problems and arthrits. Hope this might be a help to you. Jackie

• bruce825
    16 years ago

I'd encourage you to look into using earthboxes - official or homemade - that are set on benches.

I put a bunch of links on how to make/use Earthboxes on this Flickr page.

I think they're a great product, even better/cheaper when you make them yourself!

Here is a link that might be useful: EBs on garage roof

• Happy2BeeME
    15 years ago

My Dad has the same problem. He likes to use the green upside down hangers for his tomatoes. Note they are heavy and need a good support. But they work well for him.

He also uses containers on a short bench and has a seat with wheels to move around with.

Hope this helps and hope all works out well you. Happy gardening.

• gaurdanddig
    15 years ago

Hello from Dix Hills,

I've also ran into some issues recently. I hurt my shoulder so it was really sore when I tried to plant my zucchinis for the summer. Extremely saddened by my the physical limitations i browsed the internet for a good joint supplement. I found this thing called Micosamine that helps promote flexibility and supports joint function. It's made from dehydrated cow's milk.
    I dug up a study for any curious folk. :).

Zenk JL, Helmer TR, Kuskowski MA. (2002) The effects of milk protein concentrate on the symptoms of osteoarthritis in adults: an exploratory, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Cur Ther Res 63(7):430-442

hope this helps.

-Stella

• organic_kitten
    15 years ago

Talk about timely! I just found this site. Wednesday, I had knee surgery for the removal of a piece of meniscus (cartilage) that I had torn lifting a bag of composted manure. I too have got to make some changes.

I bought one of those roll-about seats so I wouldn't have to bend as much. I still am figuring out how to spare the knees and garden.
    Kitten

• valentinetbear
    15 years ago

Kitten,
    Hate to be a party pooper, but those little roll around seats are usually quite squat. Doesn't that mean your knee will be bent more then usual? I can't lean over long, so I've been spending my years coming up with a variety of ways to raise up my plants (all in containers, so higher then ground to start with.) So far, I've used a child's wago, a few tables found in trash or asked for on the FreeCycle Network (got free plastic shelving through that group, too -- google the words for more info), a children's round picnic table as a plant stand, and HUGE containers.

Most of my prep work is done in my chair while using a plastic table in front of me. Only down side is it takes forever to shovel potting soil into the containers, but, even then, I fill up the bottom of containers, where roots will never reach, with cans that would otherwise be recycled anyway. (Plastic bottles work, too, but, don't go for strayfoam peanuts, since they're a PAIN to remove when recycling soil in following years, and fly all over the place in slight breezes.)

Oh, and now that my heel is acting up, I also garden with a cane, which, oh boy, is soooooooooooo much fun. (Puddle of sarcasm warning. LOL)

• dlpasti
    15 years ago

Know the feelings well!!!!!!!! I had two tears in the meniscus in my L knee, a hip dislcation/pelvis fracture (R) and two bulged discs @ C4/5 and C5/6. You adapt to gardening! I havn't stopped and don't see why you'd need to either, just remember that the dirt, weeds, whatever, will still be there the next day. Just don't give up, work at your pace and you'll do just fine, and your garden will be yours! I wish I could figure out how to put pics on here--love to show you some of the projects I've been able to complete, like my 74' raised bed or retaining wall on the corner of my lot (dug the corner of the hill out).

• mr.spivak
    14 years ago

I had problems with my back for some time now. It did affect my gardening. I was offered surgery in the past, but I lost some weight and it did help.
    Several months ago I had severe exacerbation of my back pain and was offered surgery again.
    I refused. Then I traveled to Ukraine to see my friend who is a baptist minister there. Local doctor offered special exercise program with combination with yoga, stretching, physical therapy,reflexotherapy. I spent 4-6 hours at that Health Center daily for 10 days.
    Immediately, I felt better.
    I do not think of surgery anymore.
    I think the key of the course of treatment was exercise.
    Dr. Piluiko has his exercise program on the web.
    Look it up.
    John

Here is a link that might be useful: special exercise

• lpptz5b
    14 years ago

When your in pain everything seems impossible,I can understand.
    I had surgery on low back in 1993,it has not been a picnic.
    Anyway here are a couple or tools I came up with for moving heavy stuff.I live in the country and loan out my extra shed space to my brother who collects junk,and I'll admitt I do my share as long as it doesn't get to bad,I use an old golf caddie for moving large 5 gal pots,I just strap them tight and off they go.Recently I needed to move a fairly large rock,I found a lawn mower with a bad engine but A-1 deck,so without the engine I just roll the really heavy rock( I'd say 300 plus pounds)onto the mower and it makes an excellent cart.Just two things that even when I tried them I didn't figure they would work that well.

Good luck with your back,I know things look dismal but you will adjust.JM2C

lp