Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Question about using stocktanks for raised beds

catherinet
20 years ago

Hi all,

This past summer I had several 100 gallon Rubbermaid stocktanks for growing lotus and lilies. They worked out great, and it was wonderful not having to lean over so much, since they just sit on the ground. I have a huge garden, and every year, it gets harder and harder for me to deal with, for health reasons. So......I'm thinking about buying more of these stocktanks for vegetables. They have a plug in the bottom, but I'm assuming I would need to drill holes all over the bottom. I believe this stuff is made out of fiberglass. Do you have any idea how many holes I would need to drill on the bottom? Should I put gravel on the bottom too? Is there any reason why I shouldn't grow vegetables in containers like this (toxicity??)

These stocktanks are 4' long, 2' wide and about 2' deep. I hope it works out, as I just can't keep leaning over in my "regular" garden. Thanks for your help.

Comments (4)

• cricket_Mo
    20 years ago

Catherine,
    I used some super big buckets to grow in this year. Worked great. Had trouble with drainage on only one of them. Do think next season I will add a few holes around the outside edges in addition to the bottom. Might want to do that too. Seems they settle down into the soil, drainage slows. Or set them on top of gravel ?
    Best of luck !
    cricket

• catherinet
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks cricket.

• shadowgirl
    20 years ago

Hi Catherine,
    I think sitting them on gravel or even landscapes timbers, which might be easier than gravel to set=up is the way to go. If they were deep enough then you could line them up and put trellis at the back. That way you could increase your growing space vertically. Another option is to put very large holes in the bottom and allow the roots to go into the ground. Solves your drainage problem and allows for bigger plants especially perennials. I think no matter what way you go exploring vertical gardening is something everyone over 40 should try. You can also do a pond out of landscape timbers that is great for those who have accessability challenges. Check out this site for a picture.
    Hope this helps!

Loretta

Here is a link that might be useful: accessible pond

• aeconom
    19 years ago

My daughter is in 4-H horticulture and one of her projects is with stock tanks. You take two 2 1/2'high x 4' long stock tanks put them together length ways. Make sure they have holes in bottom so you can put a screw drain cap on them. Build with treated wood a 4'high x 8'long box to surround theses tanks. make sure you drill a hole where the drain cap is. Put a 4'width x8'length lattice on top of tanks.Take a pvc pipe put through one of the lattice holes and into to tank about an inch. Then hook a pvc elbow and another pipe so it comes out of the side of the box. (You will have to drill another hole) On top of lattice cover generously with straw and then cover straw with dirt to the top. Fill the water tank through the pvc pipe until water comes out. Plant your garden and watch it grow. The warming and moisture from bottom grows a wonderful garden. It is an experiment that turned out Great.