Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Term for Accessible Garden Tools?

Posted by Corona_Tools Corona, CA (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 19, 11 at 19:28

I just came across this forum so thought I would ask the question; what is the most widely accepted term for tools designed used in an accessible garden? Is it accurate to refer to them as "adaptive" tools? I've heard other terms used but thought I would ask if there is a common one used.

Thank you.

Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Term for Accessible Garden Tools?

Chris - I suspect that's a question to ask of therapists.

Personally: I want to use my old, familiar, 'fits me' tools. Simple ones. I loathe clip-on tools and long handles. I don't mind double action tools such as secateurs and loppers which do what I can't on a no-power in the hands/arms day. Comfortable and warm handles.

And tools that keep me independent.

You didn't ask, but I'll tell you anyway ( :-D ) - a major hassle for me is moving the hose pipe and putting it away again. Fixed watering systems aren't an option for my style of gardening (nor my low pressure water.) I loved the flat hose I found - but the materials were flimsy and it gave up in disgust. The light and coiled pipe - I'd have more success in wrestling anacondas. Stiff plastic is exhausting. The pistol grip delivery heads - I haven't found one yet that doesn't create hand cramps very quickly. The adjustable nozzles? Sometimes I just can't move them.

So - adaptive or adaptable doesn't matter to me. I'd like my tools to look 'normal' and do the work I have in mind while offsetting my erratic muscles and tender parts.

Can you?

o
RE: Term for Accessible Garden Tools?

I've heard "ergonomic" and "adaptive".

Like vetivert, I haven't found many that were useful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here