Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mel00168759

Problems!!

mel00168759
21 years ago

Does anyone that is wheelchair bound have any problems with any of the gardening equipment that is alright on the market.

- Are they two heavy ?

- Do you have to use several different pieces of equipment?

- Is it hard to move around the garden, carring the equipment?

- Or any other problems

Please let me know.

Comments (2)

• Marie_TX
    21 years ago

My biggest problem in moving around the garden is uneven ground. My dream is to put smooth walkways all around my property. I am not in a wheelchair now, but have been and may be again in the future. I have a nice cart my father in law designed and had a welder make for me from stuff he found in a junk yard. The base is from a push lawnmower, with small front wheels that pivot, and large bicycle wheels in the back. The thing acts like a walker for me and has room for two garbage cans, or several sacks of mulch, or plants, and a bucket with my tools. It even has a seat for if I get tired far from the house. It's big advantage is that it doesn't have to be balanced like a wheelbarrow. I would not be able to manage that.

For people confined to a wheelchair, a cart like this could work, since it carries everything heavy. I don't know how you would push your chair and the cart though. Unless you're motorized. -- Marie

• Chef_Wil
    21 years ago

I like the green thumb brand of reinforced fiberglass handles, they are about 2/3 the weight. I also use aluminum pizza peels (spatulas or spades) with 2 ft and 4 ft handles when I am working loose soil. They are pricy but I think the 4 ft long one weighs about 2 1/2 lbs. I also like a 2 handed grill scraper for a hoe. They have a replaceable steel blade and an alum. body. I even use it for splitting kindling.
    I also had a cart something like Marie's. It was powered by 2 motorcycle starter motors that powered 2 rubber tracks and steered with a joy stick. It could move around 300 lbs and pull me at a steady walking speed. My brother-in-law built it for me. He had a but it was set up as a stair-climbing hand dolly. I saw it carry a 20 cu ft freezer up 4 flights of stairs and not miss a lick. All he had to do was balance it.
    Marie,
    I have used crushed cinder block for paving walks. It is great, cheap, easy to use, and it won't hold water. I just spread it between 2 2x6 retainers and then had it packed with a heavy roller. It would even take a w/c without bogging down.