Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Container Moving

Posted by msgaz 9 Az (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 10, 02 at 10:12

I live in the desert, and have several large and fairly heavy containers that need to be moved due to season changes
I'm trying to figure out something I can put them on with wheels so I can easily move them when needed. I've seen flat wooden dollies, but their to expensive for as many as I will need. Has anyone solved this problem yet?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Container Moving

Perhaps a child's wagon? or a heavy tarp that you could drag? I have borrowed the dolly from the hardware store that they use to move heavy appliances etc. but usually I use an aluminum snow scoop, but I guess they're not too plentiful where you live.

Here is a link that might be useful: Get a kid's plastic snow sled

o

I have a moving cart that I use to move bags of fertilizer, container plants, etc. It looks like a refrigertor mover. My husband bought it for me at Ocean State Job Lot. If you do not have one near you, there must be other job lot stores around

o

I bought several round wooden dollies with wheels from Home Depot at $3.00 each last year, my DH also made some square ones for me. If you don't have anyone to make them you could ask the local high school woodshop teacher if they would be interested in making them for you, it would be a great project for students to make and also a community service project.

o

Zinnia, yes since I posted that remark our HD and Kmart
both now sell the dollies. They are wonderfully useful. Though we paid 7.00 a piece. I'll keep watching for sales on them though.

o

I have a wheelbarrow i use to move containers with but i can still lift a little bit.

o

I used to show dogs, and had a rolling wire cart with big wheels to move dog crates. I still have it, and it is terrific for moving stuff, has a rope on it that's easy to pull. We have rough ground, but it moves with ease. You might try looking into that. It's been a great help to me.

o

If you can lift the containers at all, look at those rolling things that guys roll under cars with.

If they're really heavy, and you can't lift them, but can tip them, and where you're moving them to is on the same surface as where they're starting out, get several oak dowels from a hardware store. The one inch diameter ones are pretty good. Cut them in half. (3/4" thick-wall PVC pipe cut in appropriate lengths should work, too.) Then line them up in front of your container. Tip the container back and roll one dowel under it, then another one. Roll the container on the dowels in the direction you want to go. As the dowels roll out from behind, place them in the front again, and just keep going.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here