Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
busyd95

Landscaping a Community Integrated Living Arrangement (CILA)

busyd95
16 years ago

Our family is involved in planning and building a CILA for our daughter and 5 other young women with (mostly) non-physical disabilities. As a gardener for many years, I have volunteered my services to design and implement a landscape plan for the house.

I know that I need to plan for the possibility of physical handicaps as the residents mature, as well as for their mental handicaps.

Due to the expense of watering, I plan to use as many native plants as possible, with shrubs, trees and evergreens for structure.

My goals include engaging the residents in the landscape, both in terms of its beauty and limited care. Therefore, I want to include benches, swings and a separate edible garden.

Any ideas or guidelines, reference materials that you can suggest? I have also cross-posted on the Design Forum.

Does anyone have any experience with such a design?

Comments (3)

• luna_llena_feliz
    16 years ago

There are plenty of great books out there on accessible gardening. If you click on the link below, it will take you to a message thread with a number of great books.

I borrowed the ones I listed from the library so it didn't cost me a cent.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Here is a link that might be useful: Accessible Gardening - Interesting Reading

• anaerobic
    16 years ago

Posted by anaerobic 32405 (My Page) on Tue, Oct 23, 07 at 1:50

Buy a 50 ft. roll of turkey wire 4 ft. high with 2" x 4" spacing. Cut it in three 15 ft. lengths with 2" extra wire sticking out at one end to hook onto the other end. Bring the ends together to form a large cage about 4 ft. in diameter. Use the 2" piece to hook the ends together from top to bottom. Now weave vertical blind slats in the fence wire horizontally all the way around from top to bottom to make a large basket. This 50 ft. roll will make you three baskets. Be sure you locate each basket on level ground. Fill each basket with leaves,any kind except pine needles, and keep adding leaves for at least 2 weeks as they settle. This is very, very important because the leaves will pack down like a sponge. At the end of 2 weeks put at least 6 inches of planting soil on top covering the entire surface over the leaves. You must plant now because the weight of the soil will press the leaves down further and it will be hard to plant reaching over the fence wire after it settles. It will continue to settle for about 2 to 6 weeks depending on the type of leaves and the amount of rain. It should stop settling at about a 3 ft. height or waist height, ideal for those using wheelchairs. After the soil has settled to this point cut the top 10 inches of the fence wire off leaving 2 inch pieces sticking up all the way around, about 90 pieces. Bend these down inside to avoid being cut by the sharp ends. Save the part you cut off for use later. In 2 to 3 years it will have settled to about 2 ft. or less. This is slow composting also known as anaerobic digestion. In the end you end up with good humus. When you are ready to start over just lift the wire cage off leaving a large cake of humus, set the cage in a new location, put the 10 inch piece back on top, fill it with leaves, keep adding leaves for 2 weeks, add 6 inches of soil and you've started all over again. Plant.

• landscapedesigner200
    16 years ago

I am a landscape designer that specializes in adaptive garden. I am in knoxville and have taught a class in adaptive gardening at UT. I am in a wheelchair from a spinal cord injury.
    Let me know if I can help
    Mark