Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raised Beds - What material to make them of?

Posted by raisedbed_gardener So California (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 8, 06 at 17:40

I live in the LA area and want to put about 4 4'x12' raised beds in my backyard. I am researching materials - composites like Trex/Weatherboard, Vinyls (e.g. Orcaboard),
and am told even the Trex-like composites can get terminates and the vinyls expensive to ship to LA. I am also hearing stories of redwood getting termites. I want something that will last 5-10 years and pretty simple but durable. Ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raised Beds - What material to make them of?

I am presently constructing a raised vegetable garden out of cedar. So far I have two 45"x12"x20' beds and working on two more the same size. My soil is mostly clay so I am going to amend it by purchasing soil from a local landscape company. Being in L.A. you should have no problem getting cedar boards.

The wood is expensive but, I am pretty sure they will last a minimum of 5 years. I used 2"X6"X5' boards and 6"X6"X10' cedar posts (cut to 12" long) My cost is running approximately $130 per bed

I too want to know the the type of soil I should use. Since my soil is clay, and the depth is over 10", I will not use any type of material on the bottom. I will continue to look around for ideas on what type of soil to use.

Good luck to you. Vino

o

Trex-like board looked pretty expensive for raised beds when I checked. I ended up using 6"x6" pressure treated timbers that I got a deal on since they had been outside at a lumberyard for several years and were a bit twisted.

Something I forgot to do when I filled by raised beds was to allow for 4-6 inches of mulch on top of the soil for weed prevention and water retention.

For soil I used a 50/50 or so of compost and regular soil bought from Agway. I've been amending the beds with shredded leaves and coffee grounds.

o

<i>

o

I made some beds last year out of cedar log-rolls. 18 per roll, 18' high. It has a guarantee of 7 years and it's dead easy to put together. I'm going to put in several more this year. I hope the image works, I'm not too good at including images yet!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Here is a link that might be useful: raised bed

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here