Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redthistle

Blind Gardeners & Tools for Blind Gardeners

Redthistle
20 years ago

I'm wondering if there are any other blind gardeners out there? My husband & I both garden, but my husband attended the local school for the blind and is legally blind.

DH is the person who originally got me hooked on gardening. He has gardened for about 10 years now. Despite not being able to see, DH laid an 85 ft. brick-on- sand pathway (the correct way) with a garden bed on either side. He also created a huge bed in our front yard, 12 ft x 100 ft, which he mulches and maintains by himself. (I hope you can tell I'm proud.)

Anyway, aside from wondering if there are other blind/ visually impaired gardeners out there, we are looking for a level that a visually impaired person could use. We can't find anything. I've looked on the web and have come up empty-handed. We also checked with the Lighthouse for the Blind, and they don't have anything either. DH wants to create another brick pathway that will be wider than the original one, and he could really use a level.

Also, DH was wondering if anyone knows of a device a visually impaired person could use safely to edge garden beds instead of having to pull the grass by hand?

Comments (8)