Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joannclark_gw

Designing Products for Accesable Gardening!

JoannClark
19 years ago

Hello i am a third year student studying product design. Our latest project involves the garden and i have desided to go down the route of accesable gardening particualy for arthritus sufferers and wheelchair bound gardeners. I would greatly appreciate any input you all can give into:

problems in the garden

Whats wrong with existing products

how you think they could be improved

ideas for products that would make life easier

and so

on....

Thankyou for taking time to read this and any comments thoughts or general ideas no matter how big or small would be fantastic

thankyou jo-ann

Comments (9)

• enchantedplace
    19 years ago

My suggestion would be to focus on long, light weight, easy to grasp, handles and durable sharp materials for the tools. Some of the most useful tools that I use are a scuffle hoe (shaped like a stirrup) and a pointed hoe that is sharp on both sides. These are good for weeding and light cultivating. Also something that would be useful for picking up the weeds such as a narrow rake or pitch fork. Tools that one can use without bending or kneeling /or/ would provide adequate legnth for a wheel chair bound gardener. You might also focus on tools that could be used by a gardener who has use of only one hand and provide a means of grasping a tool with one hand. good luck . EP

• Yellow22
    19 years ago

Those plactic watering cans with a wide handle. Wrong. I don't think it's grippy enough. It's just too much and slips. The old fashion wire handle with a wooden cover will work for anyone. A large spongy cover could be added. I think arthric peoples hands are strong just not quick with all that much movement and power to shift and lift so a longer sout and a flatter well helps balance.
    Also a prunner or sissors that made for for roses where it's a slip, center, right to and not a slip off like most. That's all I have for now.

• Boomer _Lady
    19 years ago

I have rheumatoid arthritis. My hands are the biggest problem most of the time.

I would love to have a tool similiar to my mezzaluna for cutting.

{{gwi:338001}}

If I could find something like that it would be a big help when cutting through clumps of bulbs while dividing them. I can't always cut through them with a knife. It is much easier on my arms & shoulders for me to do the rocking motion to cut rather than the sawing motion a knife requires.

I have actually used my kitchen mezzaluna in the garden but at 9 inches it isn't big enough for large clumps. A garden mezzaluna that had more padding on the handles & a 20-24 inch blade would be fantastic.

• cburg
    19 years ago

some of the tools enchanted described already exist - don't know if that matters or not - i'd be very interested to hear what you develop!

• JoannClark
    Original Author
    19 years ago

thankyou all for your thoughts, all were very usefull.
    After looking at all the tools currently available i deffinately agree more could be done to improve them all...

however after having a read through some of the other sections in this forum i have been looking into designing a kneeler/ stool on wheels that could easily be moved around the garden and would also have storage for things such as handtools weeds etc. Sort of a self contained unit for accesable gardening. I think it would mean less carting back and forward to the shed to get things and generally make the gardening experience less stressfull for say gardeners with arthritus or lower limb weakness who finds it tireing having to get up and down more than nessesary.

Am i on to something here???????? as before any comments positive of negative would be fantastic!!!!
    Jo-Ann

• enchantedplace
    19 years ago

I have been looking for quite some time for a narrow rake and pitch fork but have not found any. The scuffle hoe is a good tool but I need a longer handle so we are thinking of changing the handle.. The pointed hoe has a longer and easier to grasp handle. The shape and size of a tool can mean a lot for the function of use as Debbie has stated. I do not kneel or sit on a stool to work. I sometimes sit flat on the ground on a tarp or a rug and keep a stabile tool box near by to scoot onto when I need to get up. Yellow's statement about keeping balance and grasping is something important to consider. I know a few gardeners who have designed carts that they can push around to hold tools and provide support when walking. There are different challenges to consider so perhaps focusing on a particular challenge and going from there would be the way to go.. Hope you'll share back. EP

• infonose
    19 years ago

I have not had luck finding tools designed small enough for my hands. Now that my thumbs and wrists are painful, I am at even more of a disadvantage than before. Pruners etc. open so wide that I have to exert pressure to hold onto them when they are open between making cuts. Probably this contributed to my thumb problems to begin with. Even small Fiskars pruners are too big.

• plant_manager
    19 years ago

Greetings! I would love to have a hand truck made for moving container plants, etc. Instead of the straight flat back which a container usually slides off of it would be nice to have one with a curved back that a container or bucket or what ever is cradled in without having to worry about it slipping off the hand truck when you hit a bump or an uneven piece of ground.
    Foam handles on just about every tool would be great.
    I use an apron from a hair place that the cosmetologists wear to keep hair off of them. It has many pockets on the from as well. It holds markers and labels, seed packets and even my cordless phone. Have a great week and a great garden!

• Nancy in Mich
    19 years ago

infonose, have you seen the Felco pruners? I have the small one (# 6, I think), but this link also takes you to the anti-fatigue ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: Felco