Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mycarbumps

a little bit about me...

mycarbumps
21 years ago

hello all,

my name is Ryan and i am a 17 year old highschool senior. i am not in a wheelchair or otherwise disabled, but i am in a club at school where me and some of my friends help the LRE (Learning Restricted Environment) kids with mental and physical handicaps to garden around the school. many of the kids that i work with have severe mental disabilities but are capable of weeding and planting, but there are a few kids in wheelchairs, im never quite sure what to have them do. i know that sounds awful but they mostly just watch, i was looking for any ideas on how to get everyone involved in gardening. these kids are 13-20 years old with varying degrees of mental and physical handicaps. please post here or email me privatly with any ideas you may have. soon it will be to cold to be out weeding and planting so indoor activities are good too. thank you, and i think its wonderful that you can raise the support to start this forum. ~Ryan

Comments (7)

• enchantedplace
    21 years ago

Is it possible to do any container gardening where the containers could be elevated to be within easy reach? Have not worked with handicapped, but have done programs with first grade children , providing fragrant plants for the children to sniff. The children loved it.. Some suggestions for fragrant plants are mints, scented geraniums, lemon balm, thymes, oreganos. All of these could be grown in a container. There would not be a lot of caring for the plants except for watering and trimmig. Or, perhaps those in wheelchairs could learn to start new plants from seed in small containers and watch them grow, then let the others put them into the earth and care for them as a team effort.. Doing it , keeping them interested, and the gratification everyone gets from doing it is the objective. If they can comprehend the difference between edible and non edible plants that is also a factor in learning. Do you do vegetable gardening?

• adrianag
    21 years ago

Congratulations Ryan for an incredible gift of time and love to those students with extra needs.

I suggest building individual floating raft systems using 20 gallon Rubbermade totes. Lettuce plamts grow in net pots 6" apart in these rafts. Have the kids start lettuce seeds in Oasis or rockwool squares, grow them until they are ready to transplant and them put them into the raft for 30-35 days. If you only plant 1/4 of the raft a week you can get weekly ongoing production. a salad machine!

Have each student, or a team of students, take responsibility for one raft. THe wheelchair bound students can participate 100% from the intial seeding, to transplanting in to the raft to harvesting. If different teams grow ddifferent components such as green lettuce, red lettuce, tatsoi, mizuna, endive you could harvest enough every week to send home a good-sized bag of mesclun salad mix. The kids will learn to garden and will learn to love salad!

Please contact me if you need any help with this, I grow herbs hydroponically as a business.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornell Floating lettuce Production

• Newt
    21 years ago

Hi Ryan,

This is a wonderful thing that you are doing. I'm sure you are learning a lot as well.

I went to www.google.com and put in quotes "accessible gardening" and there were many sites with some wonderful ideas. I especially like hanging pots that can be lowered for watering, weeding and dead heading for people in wheelchairs.

Here's a couple of sites for ergonomic tools. Maybe you could get some ideas and even modify some tools for those with limited arm and hand mobility.

http://www.lifewithease.com/garden.html
    http://www.gardenscapetools.com/pages/enablingtools.htm

Good luck,
    Newt

• GardenGranny
    21 years ago

Hi Ryan,

My opinion of you only grows and grows! Such a great thing you are doing here!

What about Winter Sowing seeds into individual containers that the W/C students could hold on their lap or set on a table to sow the seeds. Check with the school cafeteria for suitable containers...like gallon milk jugs. Take a look @ Trudi's WS forum FAQ for more information.

Shirley

• double_delight
    21 years ago

Ryan, I find garden planning to be an enjoyable (and important) part of gardening during Winter. I don't know if your program continues through Winter, but the physically disabled might enjoy garden design and researching suitable varieties for your area to grow next spring.

There are theme gardens that don't require much space, for example, 'Butterfly Garden', 'Three Sisters Garden', various herb gardens, cutting garden, wildflower garden; the list goes on and on. There's an amazing amount of information on-line.

As mentioned above, all of the students you work with may enjoy starting flowers, vegetables, or herbs from seed. Now would be a good time to start working on a seed collection and amassing containers. I would be glad to give you some seed from my collection. Also, post at the Seed Exchange forum - lots of kind people would *love* to share their seed.

Good luck!
    Rainy

• leah_zone5
    21 years ago

You can do hand over hand putting dirt in pots, then they cover the seeds and water the seeds (be prepared to vacuum afterwards). Every day or so bring the pots to them to water or look at and talk to them about when they planted them and how they are growing. Touch their cheeks or hands to the plants. If they are laying down put the plant where they can see it.
    When the class is outside be sure to put the wheelchair kids where they can see and be nearby. While you're working stop sometimes and talk to the wheelchair kids, say their names, tell them what you are doing. Put a plant on their tray to hold for you. Put some dirt in their hand if it is safe for them (remember to wash it out afterwards). Good luck, Leah

• Yellow22
    21 years ago

Vermiculture can be a fun project. You might be able to earn some money for future projects by selling the worms to a local outdoor sportmen shop.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.vermiculture.com/

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH