Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mycarbumps

Accessability and Hydroponics

mycarbumps
21 years ago

i was reading through some of the posts here on this forum and i noticed that most of the people here complain that they have trouble doing 2 main things, digging and weeding. i may have a solution for some of you who like to try new things and have a little bit of time and money to invest in a hobby. Hydroponics-the cultivation of plants in nutrient solution rather than in soil. this has been a hobby of mine for a little over a year now and i think it could be well addapted to accesable gardening. there are no weeds to dig up so theres no need for bending and theres no soil to dig in with akward tools that could be hard to use. in most systems there is a pump that waters for you s oyou dont have to drag big hoses all over. the height of the plants can be adjusted and even made VERY wheelchair accessable. this may also sound like a stupid reason but it realy impresses my friends when i tell them i grow hydroponically, they say- "isnt that what NASA uses?!" it does require a little bit of money to start, there are many comercially available kits through companys like www.wormsway.com or you can build a home made system. you can grow anything in hydroponics that you can grow in soil, veggies, flowers, even cacti and dwarf fruit trees! i know that to many people getting dirt under your fingernails is what they love about gardening and this method takes away that "Dirt-Factor" but for someone who might otherwise not be able to enjoy their passion for watching plants grow and develop then reeping the rewards of fresh tomatoes or award winning roses i think this could be a great thing. if you would like more information on hydroponics you can visit the Hydroponics Forum here on GW or email me directly @ mycarbumps@caraudio.com i would love to hear how other people feel about this so please dont hesitate to tell me you oppinion one way or the other. thank you for taking the time to hear my thoughts. ~Ryan

Comments (7)

• adrianag
    21 years ago

Ryan, I made exactly this suggestion in a similar post on another thread about 2 weeks ago.

• punky36
    21 years ago

I just knew in my heart that if we started this Forum there would people who would come through for us with good ideas.
    Ryan and Adriana G - thank you so much for your help. It really sounds very interesting and I am going to check it out for myself. It just might be the answer I have been looking for. After doing a little reseach I will post how this idea is working out - both pro and con. Ryan since you described hydroponics so well, would you please be kind enough and just copy and paste your entire post to "Users of Accessibily Forum. I am certain that many will be very interested in what you have to say. It is another way to encourage the disabled.
    Again, thank you to you both.
    Punky.

• Chef_Wil
    21 years ago

I had a small hydroponics garden going in my side yard this summer. I used 4 inch ABS with 1/2 inch holes drilled in-line every 12 inches for most of the vegetables and every 3 inches for the green onions. I estimate that I would spend as much on the soil builders as I would on this "experiment". I had fun with it as well as producing a lot of produce for the foot.
    I used a 40 gph fountain pump to pump the liquid media through the plant tubes every 8 hours. I had the pump in a 60 gal tank and circulated it through a filter before it got to the pump. Also the pump was elevated about 3 inches off the bottom of the tank.
    I filled the holes with coconut fiber mat that I cut to size plus a bit more. The mat is the same as for lining planters, a substitute for petemoss that works a lot better for this. I just planted the seed in the fiber mat and made sure that it stayed moist. I used liquid low nitrogen fertilizer (I think it was 20-20-20) in the water solution and mixed at 25% of recommended rate for weekly watering. Sprouted before the seed card said and was ready to pick almost a week and a half before time noted.
    I needed to change the media every 2 weeks and I rinsed the tubes then too with clear water (no additives) that had stood for a few days to dechlorinate.
    I set up a mister for the area to cool it down in the heat too. Loved it back there, cool and quiet.

• adrianag
    21 years ago

Chef WIll, I hope you don't mind me correcting your terminology///the liquid fertilizer solution is referred to as "nutrient solution". The "media" is what is used to physically support your plants - usually this is perlite, cocnut fiber (coir), cexpanded clay or even pea gravel.

You are right about the high productivity of these systems and the ease of use. If anybody ha questions feel free to ask, as I gorw hydroponic herbs commercially.

Adriana

• adrianag
    21 years ago

For those of you who think "Epcot" when the word hydroponic is mentioned, check out this nice outdoor hydroponic garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Truman's Hydroponic Garden

• auntBren
    20 years ago

Was that link to "Trumans Hydro' Garden" only a temporary.?
    -
    I'm getting a "not found" when I try it.
    -
    any ideas.?

• Radar2003
    20 years ago

Hi, I've only just joined today. As an aside, I'm very pleased to have found this site. I'm a visually impaired wheelchair user from the UK, recently started growing some herbs which I enjoy and want to grow more, I have a patio. It's fantastic to see this forum here.Anyway could someone please explain this hydroponic system in simple terms? What does the whole system consist of, how does it work, how big is it, and what maintenance does it require?

Thank you.