Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mensplace

what a wonderful topic

mensplace
14 years ago

I never had been in unending pain until this year, not, that is, the kind that can stop you in your efforts or desire to even keep on. Getting back to gardening has been a life saver...and I have written four books on starting over after losses or hardships! But, this year the rapidity of the onset of Forestiers Disease...every ligament and tendon from neck down to my hips is turning to solidified calcium and fusing the joints. Pinched nerves throughout. After heart stints, Chronic GERD, and two strokes, when this started I had just about given up. Then I read about straw bale and winter gardening. It doesn't cost me the 85.00 three times a week that 'therapy does". THIS is therapy. Now, I am slowly, very slowly watching as straw bales filled with compost and composted manures as well as straw covered potatoes and onion to "over-winter" allow me to sit on the ground with a short hoe-like spade and do something fruitful. This whole forum HAS been a life saver because the whole thing had overwhelmed me. So, I can go slowly, do a bit at a time, and each day see something new and different. Then at days end take the two mandatory morphines that are apparently the only thing that will even touch the pain. NOT whining, but giving thanks for the ability to walk out to the garden with my cane, sit on the ground or atop a bale in the full sun and ENJOY the beauty of fall while planning for tomorrow. Life CAN be good despite whatever temporary setback. No, this won't ever be "healed", but just the chance to "play in the dirt again" now beats the heck out of sitting on a couch and asking "is this all there is", "is this what I have to look forward to". NO, I CAN do something fruitful and when the pin gets to bad, come inside for a break and work on book number 5. Even with the mask pumping air at night I can turn on an endless tape of the seaside and be transported to a beach somewhere. Thank you all!

Comments (9)