Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
j_mac_gw

Garden Transportation

j-mac
15 years ago

Greetings to all

I am a Student enrolled in a Design school. We are currently working on a design project to design "garden transportation." The subject is very vague and we are looking for as much input as we can find.

So I would like to ask all of you:

How do you carry your tools to and from the garden to your place of storage?

Where do you store your gardening tools? (shed, garage, etc.)

What frustrations do you have with gardening and transporting what ever it is that you carry back and forth?

What sort of things do you transport? (tools, dirt, plants, tell me everything!)

What sort of actions are hard for you, in the lines of load, bending, kneeling, etc?

We appreciate any kind of information that you can provide.

Thank you all

Comments (5)

• Belgianpup
    15 years ago

I use a red kid's wagon to haul stuff around the garden. I need to build a bottomless and topless wooden box for it, to hold more stuff.

Sue

• poppy_gardener
    15 years ago

I have designed an "all-in-one" garden cart that I hope to get on the market some day. It is designed to be pushed (easier to move for those with leg or hip problems) or pulled by lawn tractor; has a dump body for hauling materials; up-right baskets on each side for garden tools; optional seat to use to access gardening while seated; front caster wheels for manuverability while seated or moving from site to site; and more.

Poppy

• TxMarti
    15 years ago

Where do you store your gardening tools? (shed, garage, etc.) In a shed right beside my big gardencolor>
    What frustrations do you have with gardening and transporting what ever it is that you carry back and forth? rolling up hoses and electric cordscolor>
    What sort of things do you transport? (tools, dirt, plants, tell me everything!) All of that, plus a little cart with a seat. Sometimes I load it all into a wheelbarrow or the lawnmower cart, but most often I just carry each piece out one by one except when I have a load of dirt or mulch.color>
    What sort of actions are hard for you, in the lines of load, bending, kneeling, etc? I have a bad lower back and bad knees. Wheelbarrows are great but they put a lot of pressure on lower back. Squatting is painful and too many fire ants here to sit on ground or kneel.

You didn't ask, but what I would like to see is a cart that can carry tools with long handles in an upright position. The cart I have now has a place for them to go on the side, but then it makes it hard to pull it around corners or through gates. It would also be neat to have a multi-tiered one, the lower part with seat for pulling weeds and planting, and a higher section for working with the plants and tools in it. It's a real pain to bend over a low wagon or cart for any length of time.

• Nancy Barginear
    14 years ago

We have a large place and with advancing age, it is becoming harder to get around to do yard work. Now, I use our riding lawn tractor (Husqvarna) and tow a large cart behind it. (I got that at Tractor Supply.) You can easily dump loose material out, or carry a substantial quantity of garden tools and supplies.

We also got a tow-behind 30-gallon sprayer with a long hose and wand, which enables me to spray long rows of daylilies while someone else drives the lawn tractor. I am not physically able to carry around a big, heavy sprayer. It was a purchase that was well worth the cost.

I have a Lawn Buddy cart that I sit on while weeding and grooming our daylilies. The seat gets very hard after sitting on it for awhile, and it is hard to push along a cultivated row. Because it is so low to the ground, I have a hard time standing up. Sometimes I have to get down on the ground and push myself up.

I do wish someone would invent a comfortable, low to the ground, steerable garden seat, with big wheels, powered by a 12-volt rechargeable battery. I would want a hydraulic lift to raise me and the seat up, as the hardest thing I have to do is stand up after sitting and weeding for several hours. It doesn't have to have any storage compartments, but that would be nice if it did.

Nancy

• finchelover
    14 years ago

I need something like a walker but not as high. When I go out I get off balance and need something I could hang on to like a short walker,especially on incline. Anyone know of anything like this for sale.