Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apartment Gardening

Posted by Anna_Chira 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 15:19

I'm new and I'm not sure I'm posting in the right place; if not, I apologize!

I'm new to gardening in general, but I have what I see as a problem. My husband is in the Army (Fort Bragg) and we decided that, since we won't be here more than a couple of years, we're going to stay in an apartment. That's my problem. We have a small patio on the ground level of our building, but it doesn't get direct sunlight.

These are my two questions:

1. What plants thrive without direct sunlight that can be potted for the duration of their lives?

2. What are some good indoor plants that also don't need direct sunlight? I suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) and winter is really hard to get through, so I want to try filling my apartment with plants so I can fake spring until it actually arrives.

Thanks y'all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apartment Gardening

Hi Anna_Chira,

Welcome to Garden Web and this is as good a place as any to ask though this forum is pretty slow.

1. What plants thrive without direct sunlight that can be potted for the duration of their lives?
Hosta immediately come to mind, in all sizes and foliage color combinations!

What are some good indoor plants that also don't need direct sunlight?
Check out the links below.

Low-Light Plants for Indoors. if you get to know some of your neighbors, possibly they would have cuttings to share that you could try rooting this winter.

For other ideas, you might try checking out and reading some of the posts at
Gardening in Shade Forum. You might get other ideas there for some shade loving plants for containers outside.

Also check out...The Houseplant Forum

maybe others...All The Garden Web Forums

What about putting out a bird feeder or two, and doing some winter Bird watching. If you try that I'd suggest getting a Field Guide to North American Birds, as well as a pair of binoculars.

Good luck. Spring is right around the corner. The spring thaw usually happens here in IN sometime in Feb.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Houseplants: No Sunny Window Required!

o

If you get bright light there's no reason you can't grow just about anything you like. Try making a light closet for plants indoors. Go to photobucket/ChristianWarlock for some ideas and just a bunch of pretty pictures to look at.

o

Hi "Anna_Chira". Welcome to Garden Web and this is good place to ask question in this forum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here