Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hardee38

I need something to keep me busy

hardee38
13 years ago

I'm already in my 70's and life isn't as fast paced as it used to be. I have a lot of time on my hands now days and could use something to distract myself from the rut of everyday life. I am not an expert gardener by any means, so I'd like to start with something small and extremely manageable. What do you suggest?

Comments (24)

• daffodillady
    13 years ago

I garden in pots and totes. I use my pots for flowers and grow tomatoes, peppers, and cukes in the totes. I started with perenials like daylilies and irises, but found that I like a variety of annuals for quick colorful satisfaction. Marigolds, vinca, pansies and petunias are (almost) never fail flowers for me. I am becoming fascinated with the hardy sedum and sempervivums- especially the rosette-shaped varieties. Winter sowing seeds is a blast on a cold blustery snowy day! I hope to be able to learn to make the garden junk totem ladies some day. I also think it would be fun to learn to paint rocks, and make twig furniture and trellises/arbors. And...and...and...so much to fun stuff to do...so little time (-;

• vetivert8
    13 years ago

Now that depends whether you are planting into real dirt - or you live in an appartment many feet above the ground. ;-)))

It also depends on whether you like to fuss with your plants or not.

A possibility is some of the friendlier cacti. They don't all have mean spines and many of them flower when they're quite young. They don't need much care over the winter but they do appreciate being watered and fed and given fresh mix to live in over the summer.

They can be addictive, if you know you have 'collector' tendencies.

I like Lithops and Dinteranthos and Astrophytum. The Cactus forum here is pretty friendly, too.

Another possible, something that looks quite exotic but isn't really, is the Bromeliad family. Some of the Tillandsias don't even need to be planted (but they do need watering).

I would stay away from orchids. I would. They can be seriously tempting. Just one more... and the next thing you know is you've lost your yard to a glasshouse or tunnel house. Orchid addicts anonymous. However, if you did - have a look at Pleione. There are some lovely varieties. They are reasonably frost proof in z8, happy in ordinary pots and potting mix and have big flowers for their size, with quite a long flowering season. But you have been Warned. ;-)))

None of these get to any massive size, usually, though there are massive specimens. And daffodillady's suggestions are delightful Well worth exploring if you are more interested in 'regular gardening'.

PS 70-ish is a very good age to be gardening in. And 80+. There's no upper age limit at all.

• Nancy Barginear
    11 years ago

You could grow daylilies. Please come join our very active forum. You can grow them in pots. You can even put the potted daylilies in a kiddy wading pool full of water so they don't need to be watered often. They really are fun. You can even grow them from seeds.

Nancy

• dreamgarden
    11 years ago

Some seniors knit. Others have bake sales.

Perhaps you might be interested in growing flowers/herbs that schools, scouts or youth groups could sell to raise money?

• rait56
    11 years ago

hey guys i want to be busy life,but its really boring life,can you guys help me....how to b i make a garden?

• vetivert8
    11 years ago

Hello rait56.
    What size of garden or balcony do you have for growing? Do you want to grow foods or flowers? If you have a disability - how does it limit what you can do? (I'm not being personal as this forum is for people who are gardening despite health issues.)

• leenamark
    11 years ago

I agree with all the posts above, you should start with planting flowers in the pot, may be roses and other flower plants and then slowly increase the number of pots or area you are gardening. This will keep you busy for quite a long time.

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

I have been keeping records of my successes and failures on my computer. I use a free photo program as well as a genealogy program where I place my information. This way I can store photos and anything I find on the internet pertaining to any plant or seed I wish to try and see if it will grow in my soil and area. This also helps when I am not able to work outside for what ever reason. I do starts indoors as well as outdoors. I use my photos as screen savers and background. By posting and sharing information here as well as if I have seeds or plants to share. It can become a big project, it all depends on you and how much enjoyment you get learning more about your plants and the people you share them with.

• Lynndeloopy
    10 years ago

Hello.....I am extremely busy with my potted plants, which are placed on outdoor tables so that I can garden without pain.
    I have 3 tables for flowering plants, and another one to do my propogating on near my back door, and close to the compost bin.
    Living in an Aged Care Facility, we are about to embark on a large raised garden strictly for vegetables.
    The garden is accessible both to wheelchair residents, and those of us with wheely walkers.
    To be honest, there are never enough hours in the day to do all I want.
    The residents here go for a "walk" about 3pm, and it is so rewarding to hear their "oohs and ahhs" when they spy the flowering plants.

• DesignfoIndia
    10 years ago

hello,

I love trees. I Want to create a garden . So please tell me the tricks of gardening.

• DesignfoIndia
    10 years ago

hello,

I love trees. I Want to create a garden . So please tell me the tricks of gardening.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    10 years ago

Have you considered related stuff that is no gardening per se? Example, Botany 110 & 115 On-line Course Materials is a high school level start in the study of botany. There is more serious botany online, too.

Another suggestion is to study: NRCS - Soil Quality / Soil Health - Soil Biology Primer.

This post was edited by albert_135 on Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 15:03

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    9 years ago

I love house plants, and they can be fairly easy to care for when you are not mobile, like me. No matter what the weather, they can always be accessible to you, and they are a joy at all times. At the same time, some are not always easy, if you enjoy a challenge. I recommend the Houseplant forum here, also Cacti & Succulents, which will really whet your appetite.

I also keep several fish boxes full of tiny plants, violas, campanulas, pinks, miniature poppies and armerias, and if someone helps fill in the soil for me I can easily take care of them. I keep them just outside the back door.

Thirdly, I have several trees potted up which I maintain as bonsai, this could interest you also.

Reading about all these plants is another joy. Loads of mobile people share a love of these plants, so you will not be isolated with your disability.

The very best of luck with whatever form of gardening you choose.

• cleverley
    9 years ago

this forum is good for you, you will find some interesting things

• Sow_what? Southern California Inland
    9 years ago

Pots are definitely the way to go if you're getting started in gardening with a disability. They're accessible from a wheelchair, and easier on the back for everyone. You can grow an endless variety of things, such as annuals, herbs, and even veggies from seeds. Seeds cost very little, and can be purchased at Home Depot or online. Succulents are another easy choice. Purchase the tiny plants from Home Depot for next to nothing, and by next year you'll have enough for many pots.

At Humpty Dumpty House we frequently have free gardening workshops and seminars, including edible gardening, gardening with a disability, container gardening, and many other topics. If you're in our area (Redlands/Riverside, California), please come visit (we're closed now due to an injury that has me hospitalized, but we'll reopen this summer). We also have lots of gardening ideas on our facebook, which is linked below.
    . . . . .

Visits to Humpty Dumpty House on facebook are much appreciated during
    this difficult time. If you like what we do, please give us a page
    "like". This simple act can help us get the gardens and our work back up
    and running during my absence due to an injury. ~Thank you!

https://www.facebook.com/HumptyDumptyHouse

Facebook for Humpty Dumpty House

• madabouteu
    9 years ago

Good suggestions above, and as I am becoming more limited, due to myasthenia gravis, I will have to switch to very low impact gardening myself. But may I suggest miniature aloes. There are now a large number of hybrid aloes, most no more than 6 inches across, that are possessed of wonderful textures and rainbow colors. I have quite a few myself.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    9 years ago

It is wonderful the plants we can all still grow no matter what. Photos of those aloes would be lovely sometime, madabouteu, if you felt up to it. Just hearing about them would be good too.

• bonjournal
    9 years ago

You could start by just putting your groceries in water and watch them regrow! Here are some tips: http://bonjournal.co/quick-tip-urban-gardening-from-groceries/

• zzackey
    8 years ago

Maybe you should volunteer somewhere? I volunteer at my local food bank. I get more out of it than I give!

• coppice
    8 years ago

This is a nearly six year old original post without a single reply from the original poster. D'ya think maybe they're not coming back? ;)

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    8 years ago

Well, let's just hope they're ok.

• ophoenix
    8 years ago

Learn how to garden with various physical issues - raised beds, containers, assist tools and read how others have met the challenges. Free seed catalogs and much more to get you back in the gardening mood. A huge list of free seed catalogs will entertain you all winter and give you inspiration for next year. Try AccessibleGardens.org

• zzackey
    8 years ago

That's ok. Other people benefit from all of the good advice!