Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First raised bed

Posted by griley z5 Chicago (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 25, 03 at 13:24

Hi! I'm new to this forum and to vegetable gardening. I'm planning a raised bed for vegetables and have a question about how to fill it with soil. The bed will be about 16 inches tall and will be placed over an existing grassy area. Is it necessary to kill the grass and till it before adding soil to the bed? Also, what kind of soil does one use to fill a raised bed? I know using our clay soil would not be appropriate for proper drainage but do you just add amended top soil? What amendments do you add and in what amounts do you add them? The bed will be either 8'x4' or 12'x4' and about 16 inches tall. Thanks for your help. Happy Holidays!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First raised bed

We usually kill off the grass first by covering with heavy cardboard and leaves and leaving it all winter, in the spring pull out the cardboard, add bags of top soil some peat and sand to the decayed leaves and mix well together, we usually add other amendments such as blood meal, bone meal, phosphate, according to instructions. To have a good loose organic soil with good drainage is the the objective. A raised bed decreases need to bend or kneel. Good luck.

o

So, I'm curious... will 12"-16" of soil placed over the existing grass be enough to kill it off? I'm asking because I am thinking of making a raised bed or two in the next few weeks but am unsure what to do about the grass below. Should I place a thick layer or newspaper over the grass then set the soil above that? Will the grass be able to find it's way through the classifieds and 12"-16" of soil to the sun?

o

Put the newspapers or cardboard down just to be safe. If the soil doesn't kill the grass you will be so sorry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here