Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rachel2_gw

Planting trees HELP!

rachel2
21 years ago

I recieved ten coloroda blue spruce trees today. I need to know is it ok to plant them today?

Comments (2)

• mehitabel
    21 years ago

rachel, I'm no expert, and I hope someone with more knowledge will reply. In the meantime, my guess is that given your zone, this would be a good time to plant (you have to wait til they are dormant). At any rate, I would think they are better off in the ground rather than out.

There are products you can apply that protect newly planted evergreens from drying out while their roots are getting established. These are anti-desicants (sp?). One I believe is called "wilt-proof". I believe these are worth while, as the biggest enemy of your new trees until they get their roots going will be the winter winds.

I do hope this helps. Good luck.

• Fireraven9
    21 years ago

How big are these trees? Are they seedlings from Arbor Day? If they are small and your soil is not frozen, you can plant them in a garden bed where they can stay a couple years (with regular water) and mature a bit before planting them in the permanent location. I would leave a good bit of space between the seedlings if you choose to do that. You can heel them in if you have a space in the vegetable bed that is not in use and choose where to put them later too. If you want to plant them in permanent locations right away you will have to be sure to water when there is no snow, especially in spring. You won't want the ground to be soggy, but it should not get bone dry either. Be sure to use a long spade or trenching shovel and sink it into the soil a bit deeper than the roots are long and rock back and forth a bit to open a slot. The tree can have its roots planted flat, but the bottom roots should not be bent back on themselves. If the slot/hole is too shallow make it deeper. Put the seedling in and be sure not to plant too deep or too shallow so roots are exposed. Drive spade into soil a few inches (4 or so) from the first slot and running parallel to it and rock it back to close up the slot that holds the tree. Fill new hole with loose soil. Water the whole area well. If you choose to mulch ... do not let it get too close to the trunk of the tree. Now if that is 10 larger trees you will need to dig larger holes and you may want help if it is difficult. Larger trees in pots (1 to 5 gallon) can be over wintered un-planted in zone 7 and you can plant at leisure. Just be sure the potted trees get water every week or two when there is no snow.

Lee AKA Fireraven9
    When you enter a grove peopled with ancient trees, higher than
    the ordinary, and shutting out the sky with their thickly inter-twined
    branches, do not the stately shadows of the wood, the stillness of
    the place, and the awful gloom of this doomed cavern then strike
    you with the presence of a deity? -Â Â Seneca