Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
alternative to stepping stones?

Posted by Jitai z9 CA (azurestarglover@earthlink.net) on
Mon, Dec 15, 03 at 22:45

I wanted to put stepping stones as a path in my garden but I'm afraid my dad would have a hard time using them as a path--sometimes he's in a wheelchair and others he has full leg-braces that make him awkward when walking. I really don't want to put down a plain cement path but I don't know what else I could do; anyone have ideas?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: alternative to stepping stones?

Maybe this would work.

Here is a link that might be useful: paving stone

o
RE: alternative to stepping stones?/or...

Wonder how wood planking or indoor outdoor carpet would work. Good luck.

o

Hmm. I'll check that stuff out, thanks!

o

How about pouring your concrete sidewalk and imprinting it with flowers or leaves or something. You can even get a stain to mix in with your concrete to give it some color.

Or you can press things into your concrete when it's almost dry. Try seashells, buttons, pretty rocks, etc.

Or get stencils and paint ivy leaves, butterflies, frogs, flowers or something on the concrete when it's cured.

o

Ooo, nice ideas! I could do imprints like that on some of it but leave a side smooth part for the chair... I'll do some research...

o

I've been noodling the same question. I have a very long stretch of lawn to traverse to get to my butterfly garden, and I'm now confined to a wheelchair about 90% of the time. I don't want something that looks like it cuts the lawn in half, and would prefer a "pervious" surface. Perhaps pavers in a neutral color are the answer!

o

Hmmm; neutral-colored pavers might work, but I'd have to make sure they'd work for him when he was wearing the leg brace as well as when he was in the wheelchair--he's supposed to be in the chair most often but he ends up walking more of the time....
Thanks for the ideas!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here