Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sam401_gw

5 Week old seedlings and two sets of twins

sam401
10 years ago

Hi Everyone!

These are some recent pics of my seeds i planted 30th November 2013.

Comments (19)

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This one is very green compared to the others

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This one is short and fat

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One of my big boys, there's three or four about this size.

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the older set of twins

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the second set, these ones are about 4 weeks old, doing better than the older set.

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Its been so much fun waching these little bad boys grow. I've decided to keep a picture type diary of the progress. I want to be able to look back at them when they were seedlings and compare them to thier adult self. i have given them all tags to help with identifying them when i move them on into thier own pots.

Sam

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Great progress!! Thanks for sharing. What are you growing them in? (Soil and lighting/heat).

Chuy

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Chuy!
    I am very fortunate to live in a climate that favours adeniums. I don't bring my plants indoors, they're out doors all year round. Our winters are very mild. The seedlings are out under my back patio underder a skylight type roof and it they get a small amount of morning sun.
    They are potted in a regular potting mix, again the climate here is hot enough that the mix doesn't get waterlogged.

Sam.

• chuy415
    10 years ago

That's fantastic. I see now why they're happily growing for you. Thank you for your quick response.

Chuy

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Sam,
    They all look so healthy and a log as you speak of is a good idea. Wish I had been as organized when I first started with them. You are fortunate to live in a climate which allows you to grow outside all year round.
    A very special lady in Oz (Sandy) has always been such a wonderful help and very knowledgeable in growing and grafting. I hold her in very high regard.
    Your short fat little guy (seedling) is a good way to have them.
    Funny Short and Fat is not politically correct or encouraged with us.
    Thanks for sharing Sam.
    Rick

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Rick! Thank you. I think Gill made mention of a diary in an earlier post, and I thought it would be fun to refer back when they get older..

I've actually had the pleasure of meeting Sandy qite a few times through family members. It wasn't until October 2013 that I went to her house and found an absolute treasure in her back yard. It was amazing! I have seen her grafted plants in person, mind blowing!

• ginger9899
    10 years ago

Nice looking seedlings! It's so fun to see how different they are.

-Heather

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Heather.
    Im looking forward to comparing "then and now photos"

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Hi Sam, you have some great looking babies there, I especially like the 'twins', it will be good to follow their progress this year. Each one develops it's own characeristics later on, no 2 will look the same I bet you. You are lucky to be able to grow yours outside all year in such favorable conditions,so growth should be really fast.... I do envy you!

Yes, it's easy to lose track of particular plants as I for one forget 'when and where' etc etc. I have labels poking out of all my pots, pics all over the laptop and jottings in notepads too!!

I have fond memories of Cairns/Reef/Qld on our first Oz trip in 2002, a truly magical place in the tropics...it's almost time to plan our 5th visit to your wonderful country soon.

Gill UK

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Gill.

Yes, it is a beautiful place to live, a bit hot at the moment with 35 degrees (Celsius) and 80% humidity for the past coup of days. Hopefully today won't be as bad.

I can't wait to see how they develop and flower, hopefully I get a few different colours to add to my little collection :) I have paddle pop/popsicle sticks labeling them at the moment with big labels ready to put in thier individual pots in a month or so. Its amazing to see how different they are already.

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have been very busy today helping my babies move out into thier new homes!

These pics include before, my 'operating theater' complet with tools of the trade, some plants waitimg to potted and new home in the garden.

Sam

• lme5573
    10 years ago

Thanks for updating, Sam.
    Your seedlings are 14 weeks old, and have 2 sets of leaves, and now you're taking them out of the "community garden" and potting up individually, right?
    What size pots did you use? It's hard for me to get the proper perspective. I love the picture of the seedlings and their roots! I am getting ready to start my first batch of adenium seeds, and your photo diary is very educational.
    And of course, the twins are adorable, and I hope they continue to flourish!
    Thanks again for the pix.
    Lennie in Michigan, USA

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Hi Sam, things are looking good there! You are certainly getting good results and have lots of healthy looking babies to pamper. I hope they do well for you in the future.

It will be interesting for you/us to follow how a green and a red stemmed one turn out as when small you often see these differences in stem colour. As they age they tend to all look the same I find. I never thought at the time to mark what each one was like when young so I have no idea if you can tell which is which when older or even in flower...maybe someone already knows the answer? The stems swell and harden into the more familiar caudexes we all like to see, the skin changes with time from being thin and almost a translucent shiny green or red like in your pics and end up a dull light green/grey colour. Older specimens develop a kind of netted appearance too, all adding to their character I think.
    Gill UK

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Lennie and Gill!

Lennie- Yes they're all 14 weeks old and have anywhere from 1 set of true leaves up to 6 or 7 sets. I contemplated waiting to pot the smaller ones up until they got more sets of leaves, then decided to pot them all up individually as I thought they're own space may help them to flourish. I will get my big camera out in the morning and take a few more pics of the vast differences between the biggest and smallest and will take measurements od the pot for you (I threw the packaging out with all the info on it **forehead slap**)
    Thank you. I have had SO much help from all the lovely people here on this site over the past few months and I thought this could help someone too.
    Good luck with your 'big move' :)

Gill- Thank you, I've had a lot of good advice and encouragement to get this far!
    I can't wait till they flower so I can look back and see how they began. They all look so different already.
    I'm curious to see the flower colour of the all green one. I was sure I read somewhere that they have white flowers..... Don't quote me on that though. This is exactly why I started the photo diary, and because I love looking at all the 'family photos' to see how fast and how different they have grown.

Thanks for stopping by
    Sam

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County