Return to the Adenium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2014 Pruning Illustrations Co-Op

Posted by rcharles 7b - 8a. (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 21, 14 at 9:29

Place for us to show before and after photo's of our pruning efforts.
RC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2014 Pruning Illustrations Co-Op

• Posted by sam401 Cairns, Australia. (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 22, 14 at 5:47

Great Idea Rick!

I'll kick it off with my plant I've just pruned.

She was very long and leggy before I started.
You can see how well the plant responded to the pruning, most of the branches have at least two new shoots on them.

When I pruned I only cut off one or two branches at a time to let it recover in between, not sure if you can cut more or not?
I just left the branch alone, kept it dry and 4or 5 weeks later it started sprouting the new shoots. I think Laura puts wood glue over the cut to seal it, I will try that next time.

This was my first time pruning any of my plants, so it was a bit overwhelming. I had some great advice and feedback from everyone on this forum which gave me the confidence to go ahead and make that first cut.

Hopefully this will help someone else take the plunge too :)

Here is my before and after pictures.

Sam

o

congratulations sam
great job you have given me great confidence for a go ahead
my sheers are itching for prunning
waitng for temperature to rize a bit then hard pruning
never done it before so bit nervous but my leggy plants are crying for attention

anurag

o

Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 16:03

Thank you Anurag, im glad I could help.

Be sure to post some before and after shots for us to see.

Happy pruning :)

Sam

o

Fri, Jan 24, 14 at 2:38

Sorry. Double post

This post was edited by sam401 on Fri, Jan 24, 14 at 3:15

o

Sam- lookin good! did you Not seal the places you pruned? curious if you get the same results or not, depending on the watering and so on I would imagine.

Thanks in advance

Chuy

o

Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 16:22

Hi Chuy!

No, I didn't seal anything. It was very dry and hot when I pruned, I just made sure it stayed dry (moved it undercover) and just watered the dirt gently. Its still pushing out new growth, and there are a couple of buds forming nicely as well! I'll post another picture when it opens.

o

Thanks Sam!!! Good to know. Can't wait to see more pics ;)

Chuy

o

Great photos and nice work! Your adenium is off to a good start and has a great caudex.

The 3rd and 4th photos from the bottom show something my plants tried to do a lot this year. They would branch out right at the cut, too close to the "die back" area that shrivels at the end of the cut. Eventually these new branches seemed to have problems, prone to rot and that sort of thing. I think maybe I should have kept them drier. You probably did well by keeping yours dry...

Brian

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Adenium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here