Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karmaticflow

Purchasing Adeniums Online

Karmaticflow
10 years ago

I'm looking for a very reliable place to purchase adeniums. I have found AdeniumRose.com. Has anyone purchased from them and how did the plant(s) look?

I've found more places internationally. I'm just not sure if I need to do anything special. Due to the fact it is an international purchase. Customs and Border patrol. Can someone please let me know what I need to know about purchasing internationally.

Thanks,
JR

Comments (12)

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Hey JR, I have never ordered from Adeniumrose.com but I have heard that they are reliable.

As far as international ordering, you will need a permit or your plants will get confiscated. In the US you can try ordering from aridlands . com.. You can also try ebay or growing from seed. Most places in the US will not have the amazing hybrids that one could find internationally.

Oh you can also try miles 2 go, out of Africa plants and corona cactus nursery

Mark

This post was edited by Maark23 on Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 14:09

• laurieinphx
    10 years ago

Hi JR:

I ordered from AdeniumRose.com. I received them about 5 days after ordering (they are in Florida, I am in Arizona). Both came to me in excellent condition, delivered by UPS. I purchased 2 unproven desert roses, so I am waiting to see what happens! They send care instructions with them. I have had them for about 3 weeks. So far so good!

Laurie

• jv44
    10 years ago

With international ordering, for seeds all you need is a phytosanitary certificate accompanying the seeds--the same for plants UP TO 12 plants. Beyond 12 plants, you need a import permit also. The permit is free and can be applied for online: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/permits/index.shtml I cannot for the life of me find the requirement about more than 12 plants--I just know I've seen it before and others who have ordered plants from countries other than the US have mentioned it. I know people who have received small numbers of adenium plants without either a phyto. cert. OR an import permit. On the other hand......I had a small batch of adenium seeds (the super-compact arabicums!) sent from Malaysia that got confiscated because there was no phyto. cert. with the seeds.

Mike in MN

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

It would be worth checking about a permit, then you do not risk losing your money. It is not difficult to get a permit, just sounds complicated.
    You could probably check with Rinoa Chen of Orient Adeniums (Taiwan)
    And she could tell you what other U.S. orders have required and she has wonderful plants at very reasonable prices and fast shipping.
    I think when you are first purchasing plants it is nice to get the selected varieties that you like rather than getting unknown hybrids.
    There is also Leresco from Puerto Rico which is governed by the U.S., so an import permit may not be an issue?
    I have a great respect for Rinoa.
    Rick

• Karmaticflow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to all who responded.

It looks like as long as I keep my orders to 12 or less. All that is required is a phyto. cert. But since it is free to apply for a permit I will go ahead and apply just to protect myself and my investment.

Thanks again,
    JR.

• ginger9899
    10 years ago

FYI, I also have had good service from adeniumrose.com. Both plants I ordered were in great shape and shipped fast. Happy hunting to you!

-Heather

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

I ordered from Adeniumrose.com few times and were happy with each of my order.

I ordered from Thailand few years back and will not do it again. It takes about 3-4 weeks for them to get here, and the plants need long time to recoup.

Marie

• Karmaticflow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So I decided to purchase some plants from AdeniumRose.com. Should have by end of next week. Will post pictures once I receive plants.

Thanks everyone for your input,
    JR

• Karmaticflow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are the plants I ordered from AdeniumRose.com. I placed an order for 7 plants (1 XL, 3 LG, and 3 STD)and this is what I recieved. 8 nice sized plant(1 XL, 3 LG, and 4 STD) and 3 small seedlings. I would recommend them to anyone who looking to order plants online. They have a decent selection of colors to pick from.

JR

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Glad it worked out for you JR. You have a nice group plants and look forward to seeing them put on a show for you.
    Rick

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Very big size.
    Marie

• laurieinphx
    10 years ago

Those are nice. I have been wanting to order an XL but wasn't sure what an XL would look like. Thanks for posting the pic!

Laurie