torz_gw

Pot size

Torz
9 years ago

Does pot size matter?

Comments (13)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

Tori, The pot size will matter depending on the type of soil that you are using for them.
    I like to have mine in a pot that gives them no less than 3/4" of space between the caudex (girth of plant at soil) and the inside edge of the pot.
    If using a gritty type mix a little larger pot will not create any problems.
    Rick

• Torz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again rick, so much to learn, at the moment it is in a plastic seedling pot in peat, how will I know when to transplant it and are there any tricks to transplanting them?
    Should I add some rocky substrate to the mix?

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

Torz,
    Can you possibly send a photo?
    There really is not any tricks to transplanting them, other than being careful as with any seedling, not to pack into pot. Just let the soil fall in around the seedling as you hold it at the level you want. Plant the seedling at the same level in the new pot as it is now.
    The Gritty mix is a good and very safe mix to use.

If you go the bottom of the home page for Adenium group, there is a "search" bar. Type in "Gritty Mix"
    and have the small "dot" highlighted for searching "this forum".
    Laura and Al have a thread there that list ingredients.
    Friends in Australia use products such as Quincan Gravel, Coarse River sand (size of rice or bigger),
    Pumice, and screened Compost (using the large particles).
    As stated in the Gritty mix, all the particles should be of the same size (roughly speaking).

Rick

This post was edited by rcharles on Sun, Jan 11, 15 at 18:14

• Torz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gday Rick,

Here is my Tinsy tiny little rose!

I have also planted some seeds today they are mixed desert rose seeds and some giant desert rose seeds!

Fingers crossed I get some more babies growing!

Cheers tori

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

Tori,
    Your seedling is looking very good. I would definitely not have in any larger a pot than you had it in now. You will enjoy them.
    If you go on Facebook at all. Look up Sandy"s Adeniums and send her a message. She is a friend in Australia and is a wonderful and brilliant person.
    She would be very helpful with letting you know what she uses for soil and where you can get it.
    I mention because I found that in each country, what you can find is different.
    Also, Sandy has been doing her own cross pollinating for years.
    Just tell her that Rick gave her name, if you want to.

I hope we don't lose you here though.

Let us know how your seedlings come up.
    Rick

• Torz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi rick,
    Thanks for your help again, I would love to get to know sandy but am determined not to become a face booker lol!

Is there any other way to get in touch with sandy? Can you give sandy my email address perhaps? Anyway will keep asking my questions here and see how I go!

How soon should it be until I see some movement from my seeds?

Cheers tori

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

Tori,
    I can understand. I am not a big fan on Facebook, just like for info. and help from people I have become familiar with.
    Generally, I see the first seeds heaving the soil in 4-5 days and then some come up afterwards. If the seed is fresh, can be a little sooner.

If you type in Sandy's Adeniums through Google. You should get a few
    Come up and look for the one that shows her own collection and it will take you to her website.
    Rick

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

Tori,
    I can understand. I am not a big fan on Facebook, just like for info. and help from people I have become familiar with.
    Generally, I see the first seeds heaving the soil in 4-5 days and then some come up afterwards. If the seed is fresh, can be a little sooner.

If you type in Sandy's Adeniums through Google. You should get a few
    Come up and look for the one that shows her own collection and it will take you to her website.
    Rick

• Torz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Rick,

I have found Sandy and have emailed her she is lovely and will be a big help I think.

I am looking at 2 of her Adeniums to buy to keep my little fella company. They are both doubles! They are called Double Leaza and the Double Ice Shaker.

Thanks for recommending her to me. Will still be hanging around to get info and keep up to date now I have found this forum.

Cheers
    Tori

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

Wonderful, Tori. Sandy has always been a great help to me and always willing to assist if asked. I wish I lived closer, so that I could visit her place.
    She has grown and produced some wonderful hybrids.
    Rick

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Hello Tori and welcome to the world of us Adenium nuts!! I realise you come from Australia (my all time favourite holiday place btw) but chuckled to see your baby Adenium was upsidedown, lol! Glad you found the forum, you will get good advice here, its a bit quiet at this time of the year as most of us have dormant plants at the moment. Come spring we and our plants will wake up. Rick is often around and his help is invaluable. Good luck with your seeds and keep us informed of their progress over the next few weeks. Living in Alice, they should do well :)

Gill UK
    Note to self: need to put Alice on my list of places to visit on our next Oz trip!

• Torz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes alice springs is truly a spectacular place to visit, I was born here and still love living here!

I don't know what happened to that photo lol it was up the right way for a couple of days on this post and some how it turned itself around!

Thanks gill lovely to meet you!

• Pagan
    9 years ago

Welcome to the forum, Tori. Upside-down seedlings grow significantly faster than right-side-up ones lol Harder to water though!

In my experience, pot size only makes a significant difference in seedlings less than a year old because they can be easily over-potted. A small seedling will spend too much time in wet soil if the pot is too big, making them prone to rot. You can put a seedling in a big pot of gritty mix but I found it annoying to keep up with the moisture requirement of a growing seedling that needs more water than an adult plant. So I put my seedlings in a mixture of gritty mix with a handful of soil thrown in.

When your adenium plant is about a year old, you can put it in any size or shape of pot you want, depending on how you want to manage the growth of the roots. Just make sure the substrate drains quickly.

Have fun experimenting! Keep us updated also.

Pagan

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus