Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jedobatx9b

Informal Poll

jedobaTX9b
9 years ago

I had a thought, and I just wanted to find out if it could be backed up with evidence.

Some people LOVE winter. I have also known people who couldn't STAND it. I was just thinking: do the "gardeners" fall into the 'can't stand' group, or 'love' group?

Therefore, the question is "Do you like or dislike winter?"

For the record, put me in the "I wish winter didn't exist" group.

Comments (8)

• Pagan
    9 years ago

Funny you should ask, I just woke up to six inches of wet, gloppy snow.

The winter isn't so bad once it is in full swing in my zone. But as a tropical plant myself, it is the wild temperature swings in autumn that drives me insane, even if it is a breathtakingly beautiful time of the year.

Morning coffee, everyone!

Pagan

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

That's a tuff one. At first thought. I would say. I prefer the warmth and could do without the cold winters.
    Often think it would be nice to live somewhere with similar temps. all year round.
    Then the "But" comes in. I love the season changes. They do not have these in many tropical regions. I enjoy here in the summer that our daylight hours are from 6a.m. - 10p.m.

The one thing I have noticed is that when we have traveled to these warm places. I love the fruit that is locally grown there. Thinking I would love to
    walk out and pick a Mango, Papaya or avocado off a tree on a daily basis. Love them, but then it is what is at home that they cannot get or have fresh of the tree or canes as we do here, like Peaches, Apples or Raspberries.
    Sort of melancholy, what you have often is overlooked or taken for granted and what someone else has is thought of with desire.

For my plants I often wish I could live in a warm climate, but I have lived here all my life and I do not imagine a change.

Enough of that,
    Rick

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago

Just yesterday at work we were complaining about the weather we were having here in the middle of North Carolina - it was a wet, cold, drizzly, gray day that just made you cold all the way to your bones. I said if it was going to be this bad, couldn't it just snow some so it would at least be pretty?

I like all the seasons and I'm very glad I live in a 4 seasons part of the country. But we have two other seasons, Ice Storm season from December through March and Hurricane season from June 1 to Nov. 30. So...there you are! I've lived in NC most of my life and have seen 9 degree F temps for several days in January and close/over 100 degree F temps plus high humidity in August. We had 14 inches of snow in January of 2000 and the past two years our summers have been unusually mild for some reason.

I'm never happier than when I'm digging in the dirt in April or driving past gorgeous tree foliage in the fall. So YES, I like winter where I am - cooler temps, less humidity, soups and other comfort foods, watching the sky for "looks like snow" and yes, even emergency prepping for the next ice storm.

Teresa

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

Tx gulf coast winter , I luv . Tx gulf coast summer, not so much but then again that is tropical plant season the most exuberant time in my garden.

• jedobaTX9b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

On Galveston Island, I have never seen it get above 91 or 92 degrees. The water temperature and humidity won't allow it. Also, in the summer, the breeze coming in off the ocean is 10-15 mph. You can pull out a kite and get it into the air - then stake it down, and it will fly all day and possibly all night. Both the lower summer temperatures and the coastal breeze may be present in all coastal regions, but I am not sure.

I originally came from near Fort Worth, Texas. There, we had plenty of winter for me. A rare snow, even though temps often fell into the teens. Summer temps there were very high, often hot summers would have multiple 105+ temperatures. My highest ever summer even included one of 113.

• User
    9 years ago

I am so done with winter. I was born and raised in Michigan and I am out of here first chance I get!

• Pagan
    9 years ago

I gotta go see that part of the continent one winter.

Here you go, APB, warm up a bit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Language may offend some

• Photo Synthesis
    9 years ago

Personally, I love all four seasons. But since my family is originally from Alaska, I can tolerate the cold weather much more than I can the scorching hot weather of the summer. Here in Arkansas, both the Spring & Autumn weather can be lovely. But the summers are hot and humid, and the winter's chill can have a sharp bite to it.

So, no matter how cold it may get, I would have to say that I am one that loves winter. I find that it makes me appreciate it more when Spring arrives, and everything comes back to life and blooms, etc. However, some of my plants don't like being cooped up in my place with the dimmer lighting and gas heating that dries out the humidity. But as long as I keep them well watered, they tolerate it.

I don't think that I could live in a place that didn't experience all four of the seasons. Warm tropical climates are nice, but I like the different changes that occur throughout the year. It's good to have a little variety.