Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haw808

No double/triple adenium flowers from seed

haw808
9 years ago

I desperately want to grow double/triple adeniums from seed but have had no luck. I have planted over 100 plants from seeds that I bought from ebay from different suppliers and none have turned out double/triple. I'm beginning to wonder if such a flower exists. Can someone tell me how you are able to grow these flowers and where you are getting your seeds from. Thank you

Comments (7)

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Well, you know it's possible, because every plant started out life as a seed at one point of another.

I'm surprised you can't buy locally a flowering double plant in Hawaii ?

• haw808
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi dbarron,

The single flowers are very common here but it is hard to find double/triple plants. I did find a lady that had a grafted plant but she was selling it for $50.00. I was hoping I could grow my own and with all the varieties I see on line I thought it would be easy but I'm not having any luck.

Janet

• katiedolittle
    9 years ago

Janet doubles and triples are possible from seed but you have to have a good reputable place to get seeds you may get 2or3 out of 100 seeds grafted plants are the best way to get a plant you like but you still have to buy grafted plants from a reputable seller be real careful on ebay

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

Janet,
    What Island are you on in Hawaii. There is a fella that has a nursery/landscape company on Maui that brought a bunch in last year.

I have seen some really nice doubles from seed grown plants. Started from seed of both Adenium_ko and Rinoa (Orientadenium).
    You are fortunate where you live that you can grow a large number and keep them outside, where most of us have to move inside or in a greenhouse for winter.
    Rick

• jv44
    9 years ago

Yep, seeds from Adenium_ko or Rinoa are your best bet for getting doubles or triples. So far I've had 6 or 7 seedlings bloom for their first times at anywhere from about a year old to 18 months old.....I got a double red and black from Ko seeds (and a single red and black as well) of specific red and black crosses he made......and I got a triple from Rinoa's seeds from 'Violet Crescent' that turned out to be fairly close to the mother plant's flower colors.

Mike in MN

• kitnor
    9 years ago

Mr. Ko is on E-Bay and I have ordered from him. Who is Rinoa? Is this person also on E-Bay?
    Kitty

• jv44
    9 years ago

Yes, Rinoa sells on Ebay also--if you search for Orient Adeniums it will bring up her latest auctions. Her actual seller name on Ebay is tw-adenium-seeds. She doesn't sell nearly as much on Ebay as Mr. Ko.....I think she may get a lot of her business via Facebook, where she has her Orient Adeniums page.

Mike in MN

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz