Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maark23

My little seedlings

maark23 TX/8a
10 years ago

Hello everyone!! Here are a couple of pics of my seedlings. The seed is from Laura and most of them came up. There is one that didn't make it out of the seed case and ended up dying.

These were planted on Dec, 15, 2013. So they are still young.

I also got some seed from Rinoa that i just planted.

{{gwi:338987}}

{{gwi:338988}}

{{gwi:338989}}

Mark

Comments (15)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Those look really healthy, Mark. You do well with your seedlings and other.

I planted up some from Laura's Buddha belly (think that's it) and some from Rinoa and Sundaram also. Sometimes I think I must be crazy. Do not believe I am, but many others cannot understand my interest or excitement with growing these, atleast so many.
    Interesting with these Arabicums. I wish I had kept a log and photo's of all the different ones that I have started. They are so diverse with their own characteristic differences, even within the same seed lot.
    The Arabicums from Sundaram are turning out to be quite different than most others I have grown (fattening very early).
    The True Socotranum seedlings (seed from Ken Wall) are staying so small, yet looking like little balls swelling, ready to burst with little clusters of leaves on top.
    The differences is what is so appealing to me.
    Go figure.
    Thanks for the photo's Mark,
    Rick

• maark23 TX/8a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes I love to see all the seedlings grow up. They can come from the same plant but be so different. I need to get myself some of those new Arabicums.

How do you order seed from Sundaram?

Thanks!
    Mark

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Looking awesome Mark!! I'm so happy for you!

My " Budda Belly ". LMAO! Had to laugh at that, Rick! Still chuckling...
    I kno what you meant, but it sounded funny!! ;-)

I'm glad they worked out for you all.....

Take care,

Laura

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Mark,
    Sundaram has a website " Abena Adeniums ". If this is not correct, let me know and I will check my book.
    There is also a Facebook
    Rick

• maark23 TX/8a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Rick!

I did find the page. It didn't show any seed listed, but I emailed and asked if there is any available.

Mark

• maark23 TX/8a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a little update on these seedlings. They seem to be doing well. They are about 3 months old. I'm just glad they are alive! :) There is some algae growth that I have been trying to control. Should I put some sand on there?

{{gwi:338991}}

{{gwi:338993}}

{{gwi:338996}}

Mark

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Mark!!!

Glad to see that they are doing well for you!! ;-)

The algae growth is probably from the mix being a little to moist. I would let the mix dry out before I water. When you say "add sand" .... I would add coarse sand and not fine sand when you repot. Fast draining mix will help keep the moisture levels down too!! I wouldn't add sand to the top of the plants, but when you repot, I would make a fast draining mix with more bark, perlite ( grit) and Turface..

Keeping them on the dry side will help with root rot and other problems associated with a moist mix.

Hope you are well..

Keep us posted!!,

Laura

• somalenese
    10 years ago

seems Sundaram is not selling anything till June end
    he is away on Holliday's
    I called him in march that's what he told me
    I needed seeds Plumeria Euphorbia and what not

but I got 3 scented Adeniums
    waiting impetently for them to bloom
    never thought these could smell
    and will not believe until they bloom and impart their smell to my yard

anurag

• maark23 TX/8a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Laura!

I will take them out and let them dry. I do all have the ingredients for the gritty mix, I just need to shift the bark to get the right size.

I'm scared of repotting. I don't want to lose them. :0

Thanks for the info Anurag. For now I am good on adenium seed. I received some seed from Adenium ko a few weeks ago. I still need to plant those.

Mark

• maark23 TX/8a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello everyone!!!

Here is an update on these seedlings from Laura's seed. I did transplant them, but the growth seems to have stalled. I think they are starting to grow again. I have them out in full sun, but they get afternoon shade. There is some seedlings missing. I will take a photo when there is light.

{{gwi:338999}}

{{gwi:339001}}

These are some other Adenium's that I have going right now.

{{gwi:339003}}

{{gwi:339005}}

{{gwi:339007}}

{{gwi:339009}}

Mark

• heart_in_bloom
    9 years ago

Thanks for showing !

I love to see how other Peoples seedplants are doing, since I'm growing Adeniums from seed myself.

Do come back with more Pictures

• I find it very interesting to know HOW OLD the seedplants are, so please tell us their age.

Britta

• Marie Tran
    9 years ago

All the seedlings in this thread are adorable.
    It is good to see them grow fast and fat....growing them make us more patient.

Marie

• maark23 TX/8a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Britta! The seedlings shown in the first two photos are about 7 months old.

The rest are anywhere from 2-5 months old. I have the dates written down...somewhere. I'm not the best at keeping records!

Thanks Marie!! Growing them does make you patient. They seem to grow faster than some cacti so that's good! I don't have to wait as long.

Mark

• maark23 TX/8a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello all!

Here is an update on seedlings that I just repotted.

I started them in pure coir, from that block that you soak in water, and they seem the be growing really well! They are even bigger than some older seedlings I have. I think I am going to start all my seedlings in coir from now on. Some of these might be A.arabicums, since the seed got mixed.

These were first started on May 18, 2014.

{{gwi:339011}}

{{gwi:339013}}

{{gwi:339015}}

{{gwi:339017}}

{{gwi:339019}}

{{gwi:339021}}

I thought I took pictures of the rest of the seedlings. I will go out and take some photos.

Mark

• ladylotus
    9 years ago

Mark,

Your seedlings look fantastic. So very nice and healthy looking. Thank you for sharing your updated photos.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals