Return to the Adenium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When will my Desert Rose bloom?

Posted by Suz0486 none (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 17:49

Hi, I am new to growing Adenium Obesum and can't seem to find any information to learn more about them, then basic growing instructions. Last year, I bought Desert Rose seeds. I have been growing them inside since New York is to cold to grow them outside. Now that its been about a year and a few months, my plants are growing nice and tall. I have transplanted them from my starter pots to bigger pots so they can mature nicely. One desert rose I have growing is about 3-4in tall and the other is 2-3in. I was just wondering how many years till I can expect flowers?I understand it takes many years of maturing till it starts to bloom. I would assume its probably 5 or more years till it is old enough. Just was wondering if anyone can recommend some books for me to read or provide some information so I can make sure it grows healthy and full like I see in photos of excellent specimens. Thanks so much

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When will my Desert Rose bloom?

Suz0486,
There is a book that everyone growing Adeniums should have. It is called
"Adenium Sculptural Elegance Floral Extravagance" by Mark Dimmitt, Pazkill and another author. It is very informative and a wonderful piece of reading material. I got mine through eBay, but it is for sale on Amazon.com and through a few other sources.
As for flowering time with Adeniums, all depends on the conditions and cultural environment that we can each give.
Some have had them flower as early as 8mths, but this is not common with most. The sunlight, heat, watering (during warm weather) some fertilizer all contributes to good growth.
If you are able to post a few photo's for people to view, they may be able to give you an idea how yours look in comparison to plants that they have growing. Just as a guide to help you.
I am sure I have missed much, but hope this helps a little.
Rick

o
RE: When will my Desert Rose bloom?

I am in a similar climate (7a near WDC) and my seed grown plants take about 3 years to bloom but I've heard of many others getting blooms on their seed grown plants much earlier. Some within a year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Adenium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here