Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jv44

Some seedling photos

jv44
10 years ago

First one is an overhead view of 6 and a half month old obesum seedling of 'Aurora' that has these nice long, dark green leaves with "crispum" type edges showing--the only one of 6 seedlings of 'Aurora' that looks like this.

Comments (12)

• jv44
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The same 'Aurora' seedling from the side is almost comical--it looks like some kind of dwarf palm. The caudex, if you can call it that at this stage, is only 1" tall.

• jv44
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This one is a 7 and a half month old Thai soco PBN (Phet Ban Na) that I "beheaded" at an early age....and it rewarded me with 4 nice, almost symmetrical branches. Yeah, I got lucky, I know!

• jv44
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seedling of a special arabicum variety called 'Gold Bracelet', less than 3 months old that shows the crazy new growth branching all over from the base of virtually every leaf.

• jv44
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The background is rather distracting but this was the best I could do to get my camera to capture the bright pink mid ribs on the larger, newer leaves....this seedling is maybe a year and a half, I'm not exactly sure since I didn't sow the seed, and is a hybrid of arabicum x crispum.

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Thank you for sharing. Very beautiful and unique seedlings you have. :-)

Chuy

• ginger9899
    10 years ago

Those are amazing looking! Wow, mine really look plain to me now ;)

-Heather

• jv44
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! As for unique....the more seeds you sow and grow, the more odd or unusual seedlings pop up. I still don't have a single adenium with variegated leaves, though. Most times, out of a single packet of maybe 12 to 15 obesum seeds, even if 8 or 10 germinate and grow....2 or 3 are very different from their siblings. Those super compact arabicums, like Head Explodes, Diamond Scintillation, Gold Bracelet, etc., are another story entirely. They're special arabicum/Thai soco hybrids specifically bred to stay short and wide....and in many cases they branch like crazy from a very early age--like a month or so! Even still, there is some variation within specific types (as can be expected)....for instance, out of 4 seedlings (from 5 seeds) of arabicum Diamond Scintillation, three look virtually identical except for size differences, and then there's this one in the photo--it has two main stems. These make very special plants when they're older--sort of like twins sharing a caudex.

• jv44
    Original Author
    10 years ago

From 10 seeds of arabicum 'Head Explodes' I got 8 seedlings--all shown in this photo including the two runts in the front left. They all show the same basic growth form and are all almost identical overall....except that one in the front on the right. It's exceptionally shorter and fatter proportionately compared to the rest...again, this one should turn out to be extra special as it ages.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Your seedlings are magnificant, quite unique leaf shape and type.
    I really like the leaves on the Arabicum/Crispum, so deeply veined and marked with silvery/white.
    So nice,
    Rick

• jv44
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A close-up of the short, fat 'Head Explodes' seedling--it's almost comical!

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Great looking seedlings!!

I really like the shape of 'Aurora' , and those arabicum's.

Mark

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

JV44....wow....they are so beautiful....

short and fat....so good looking seedlings.

Marie