Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christine20g

Buying seeds from Mr Ko

Hi, First of all I want to say how excited I am to find this group. I'm new to growing Adeniums and learning more every day. My question is about buying seeds from Mr Ko to try to germinate in Australia. What is everyone's sucess rate of getting the same or close to what is pictured from his seeds? I'm so desperately wanting a double or triple. I have bought a few lots off eBay but they are still babies and will be a long wait to see what colours i get but I'm not confident in getting anything other than something common. Feedback from many is that it is wasting money buying from eBay sellers as u will always get pinks. Reading through this forum I see some of you have bought off Mr Ko and highly recommend him so if anyone has purchased seeds in previous years and came confirm their sucess rate I would really appreciate it. I do not want to buy a grafted plant.

Comments (8)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

Christine,
    Adenium_Ko is very reputable and many Australian growers buy from him.
    It is my understanding that things have been slow ordering direct from his website as he is relocating to China from what I am told.
    You can buy from his eBay site and his interpreter looks after these while he is away. I do not think anyone would give guarantees even with his seeds, although the percentages will be greater for something with similarities.

Rinoa, is also very well thought of from Taiwan also. She used to work with KO.
    Her eBay address is Orientadenium . On Facebook is the same.

I have had many with slight similarities and that is all I hope for.
    The one thing that most of do not realize is that these growers start thousands of seeds in hope to produce a few remarkable blooms/plants.

If you are wanting a nice seed grow plant and not grafted. You could check with a friend in Austrlia? See what the bloom looks like and get what you like.
    Sandy's Adeniums on Google and go to her page. Her email address is there.

Rick

• christine20gw(Australia)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Rick. I know of Sandy but it's hard to buy from her as she only sells established plants which is good but she is very popular and I keep missing out as they sell so fast. I'm not too concerned with getting exact colour as I know that is almost impossible but if I bought triple seeds I am hoping to get at least one triple of some sort.

• User
    9 years ago

I recently bought 8 varieties from Mr. Ko; the listings said 10 seeds each with an 80% germination rate. He actually sent me 15 seeds of each variety, and I got at least 80 to germinate. The rate was lower than claimed, but the extra seeds more than made up for it.

Original Author
    9 years ago

I've bought 3 varieties so will see how I go with them. Now the wait for them to arrive.

• chris705743
    9 years ago

Christine, if you want a double or triple types then why not you buy seeding instead of seeds. Every times I brought seeding from the nursery there is always a tag to show what color it is and whether double or triple and every times when the flowers blooms it is always the same types of flowers. Some more you buy seeding u no need to wait too for the flowers to bloom. I myself did grow from adenium seeds but very slow and troublesome and don't know have to wait until when for the flowers to blooms. So I Still prefer seeding you can choose what type of flowers u want.
    Chris

Original Author
    9 years ago

I've been trying to buy a double or triple plant but they are almost impossible to buy except for if u want a grafted plant which I don't want. There is a lady who does sell them after their first flowering but they sell really fast. Being my first year growing Adeniums I'm happy to have fun for now and enjoy the learning and watching my babies grow. U never know, I might get a surprise one day and grow something a little bit different. I have just heard that Mr Ko's seeds give a better chance of getting something more than just pink and thought there might be someone in this group who has bought and grown seeds from him who could give feedback for me.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

Christine,
    You are on the right track with getting some seeds from Ko. Many acquaintances of mine are from Australia and have been an absolute
    wealth of knowledge and good fun. They and you being from Australia cannot import plants from outside, so this leaves it to all to produce your own
    blooms/plants. The blooms that my Australian friends are coming up with
    are truly amazing. They have a Adeniumfest every year there and I am always wishing I could go.
    Fortunately for most of you, your growing season is so much longer and with this. Means more growth, quicker length of time to blooming.
    Patience is necessary, but the time does fly by.
    Enjoy watching them grow.
    Keep us posted on your progress and always ask anything.
    Rick

• jv44
    9 years ago

I know of at least one person who regularly has good success with Ko seeds and that's David Clulow down in Venezuela (I think that's where he is anyway...). He posts pics of a lot of his hybrid flowers from Ko seeds (as well as his own hybrid seeds), both the good and the not so good. You can find him on Facebook also--he is the admin for THE Adenium Group there.

Mike in MN