Return to the Adenium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drilling Ceramic Glazed Pots

Posted by MRI_Guy 5a (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 21:00

I found a drill bit that works great for drilling glazed pots. I see so many perfectly shaped Adenium pots in the gardens centers only to pick them up, turn them over, and be disappointed for the lack of drain holes. But not anymore - I bought this "Ceramic tile and Glass" drill bit which works great on those pots!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drilling Ceramic Glazed Pots

Wonderful to know, thanks.
I know what you mean. I have found some beautiful pots only to find that they had no drain hole.
RC

o

Wow!!!

That's what i'm talking about!!

Nice drill and bit!!!

Laura

o

Perfect, what a good idea! More pots with holes = more plants, what could be better? Seems like you and my d/h are both fans of bench drills eh?
Gill from the UK.

o

I bought granite drill bits for my husband. Every one of my pots had extra holes. Atleast 4 more holes.
Marie

o

The drill press certainly helps. I drill glass and ceramic containers with my little Dremmel. It takes forever but it does work.

o

Yes the drill press really helps, but for all its power, it requires a very light touch when drilling glazed ceramic. It takes me about 10 minutes to drill three 3/8" holes in ceramic. I place pieces of masking tape on the pot bottom over the locations that I want the holes and mark them with a pen. The tape helps to stabilize the drill tip until it has penetrated the glazed pottery. I squirt a small amount of water onto the bit as I drill to keep things cool and prevent chipping. It also helps to minimize airborne ceramic dust.

Scott

o

I used to work in an antique and lighting store. Making custom lamps out of vases and things people brought in from their travels and what not. I used 1/4" to 1/2" diamond hole drill bit and would squirt with a little bit of machine oil (like for sewing machines) every so often during the process to keep the bit cool and lubricated. This worked very well for me especially on glass and ceramic pots/vases. It's a great option for those that only have hand held drills.

Kirk

o

Kirk that's what I use with the Dremmel but I have to use a smaller bit and re-drill the same hole a few times to make it bigger. DH has a regular size hand held drill but I can't handle it as well because of the weight so I stick to the little one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Adenium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here