Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcharles_gw

Pruning 2014 - Coming into a new Season for many.

I would like to put together some info on pruning our desert roses with examples, experiences, thoughts, etc.
Any thoughts as to how we could compile a file type for ourselves to look back on and for others to gain from everyone's input?
Rick

Comments (15)

• _eee
    10 years ago

Hi Rick. I think that is a great idea especially for those of us that are still learning how best to take care of our D.R.'s. I believe that in the next 3 weeks I should be able to start pruning and I would love to hear from others on what their experiences are.
    Dottie

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Rick,

I also think this is a good idea, so I have been eyeing one of my large trees. This is the tree that just opened some pods. It looks messy with the dead leaves and it is still dormant. Some of mine are starting to leaf out and wake up so I have decided to take this tree and trim it up. I'm going to prune it up quite a bit, so I took a before pick and I will take pics as I prune . Once it starts to leaf out, I'll take more pics and post.

This is early to prune for me, but I just need to clean it up.. Thanks !!

Here is the before pic... Yikes!!! It needs some attention!!! ;-)

Have a great day everyone!!

Laura

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Laura,
    Do you prune yours every year or just as you feel they require it for shaping?
    Thanks for starting this.
    Wish we could set up some type of files that one could open within the Adenium forum.
    Rick

• sam401
    10 years ago

Sounds like a great idea Rick, but I have no idea how to do that.
    Sorry im no help at all :)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sam,
    Sure you do. You have just had wonderful response to your pruning and wonderful photo's.
    Maybe just post a photo of plant before, after pruning and after new growth begins. Then when in bloom for people to see.
    I find that with the threads like this started that they get lost in the progressive threads started afterwards. If we could put our posts on one thread and bring it forward (everyone), then we could keep all in one place, but might have to start a new one (say new year?) when it is full, if this happens.

I think you have done a marvelous job and should be very pleased with your efforts.
    Rick

• sam401
    10 years ago

Thank you Rick, your too kind! I ment I had no idea about putting it all together as an easy find reference. But your idea is good. You could call it "Pruning before and afters of 2014. Please share your pics here" or something similar?

• ginger9899
    10 years ago

I have one I would like to post a pic of this spring and get some advice on where to prune it, is that the sort of thing for this thread or is that a new post sort of thing? Thanks, I just want to keep the integrity of this thread and what you have in mind for it. Great idea.

-Heather

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think that would be great Heather. Post photo and get feed back on thoughts to assist you or confirm where to prune, then post a photo afterwards. Possibly another when new growth commences to show people.
    Everyones thoughts?
    Rick

10 years ago

Hi Rick,

I look at my trees and if they look like they are to leggy, I prune. Some I leave alone like the little ones. But the trees that are takin shape, I prune to encourage a fuller head. This also can be done to the little ones to encourage branching ( back budding) which will form branches. Sometimes you see trees that are one or two branches, these are great candidates for pruning to promote branching.

I'm trying to say, it depends on what my trees look like and what I want them to do. Most of them are trimmed every year.

Great thread Rick.. I trimmed the tree in my earlier post and took pics of the process. When I see back budding , I will post what I did and how I sealed the branches.

Thanks again!!!

Laura

• sam401
    10 years ago

Hi Laura!
    When you trim your little ones to promote "back budding", is that to primote more branches from the base? Or branching off the main stem? Is it more desirable to have only one main stem with lots of branches or are multiple "stems" ok too? I realise it's probably all down to individual taste and what one wants from a plant, but there must be an "ideal" shape/form?

Sam

10 years ago

Hi Sam!

It usually branches from the stem that are pruned. That is why I trim the large leggy branches.

You are correct, everyone has there own taste for what they like and what is beautiful in their eyes. We all have different ideas of the perfect shaped tree.... so all of them are masterpieces!!! ;-).

This is why it is so much fun... We can take our own hands and create ..

Enjoy!! The trees love this attention too!!

Have a great day!!

Laura

• Karmaticflow
    10 years ago

Here are my 3 DR's. One of them I pruned back last fall. The other 2 I decided to prune back last weekend. Since it has been so nice around here.

Here is the one I pruned back last fall -

{{gwi:339235}}

Here is a before and after of the 2 I just pruned back -

Before-
    {{gwi:339236}}

After-
    {{gwi:339237}}

Before-
    {{gwi:339238}}

After-
    {{gwi:339239}}

I'm also getting ready in the next couple weeks to give them their first bit of fertilizer. Cactus and Succulent 5-10-9.

Only my second season growing Adeniums. So please take info at own risk.

JR

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

JR, wow ready for fertilizer? I don't bring my DR out until early April and atleast 3 weeks after that before they get any fertilizer.

Marie

• Karmaticflow
    10 years ago

I decided to hold off on the fert. until the beginning of March. That is when I will feed the rest of my succulents. Last chance of freeze is around March 9-10 here. So I should be safe to feed around that time plus in already starting to see new growth after I cut my DR's back.

Thanks,
    JR

10 years ago

Hello Everyone!

We had mentioned that pruning is best done when the tree is at peak energy levels to help produce branching, growth and more roots if pruning. This is done usually in the late spring for me, but I was anxious to prune one or a couple of my trees. I did prune one hard and I documented the process, so I will post. It was one month ago that I pruned this tree. I sealed the ends with wood glue and let it sit in a sunny window. Today, I inspected my tree and this is what I found!!

It is a sign.. I was nervous about pruning at this time, but I had some soft limbs on this tree and it needed to be addressed before any other problem could appear.

I'll post on Ricks thread.. That way we can see the pics..

Have a great day!!

Laura

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County