Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sam401_gw

rotting seedling?

sam401
10 years ago

I have just noticed this seedling has a funny "wound" on it. It is still firm around the area and eve that suspect patch is firm too.

Could this be something other than rot?

A couple of the leaves are a little yellow too.

Thanks for your time
Sam

Comments (13)

• ginger9899
    10 years ago

I have a couple seedlings with spots just like that at the base Sam. I have no idea what they are but they have been like that for like 9 months now with no issue. I originally thought it was from a rock (I had small rocks as top dressing on the soil surface) pressed up or something but wasn't sure.

-Heather

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Heather, I feel so much better knowing that!
    I will watch it like a hawk for a while, but I feel a lot more confident that I wont loose one of my babies!

Thanks again
    Sam.

• jv44
    10 years ago

I had a few seedlings that had the same "dents" (or whatever you want to call them) in their sides.....like yours, mine were solid--both the "dents" and the surrounding areas. They all grew normally and it seems that as they get older and larger the "dent" kind of levels out and goes away. Now I can't even tell which ones had those strange indentations. One other thing I noticed.....it seemed to only happen to obesum seedlings--none of my arabicum or Thai soco seedlings ever were afflicted.

Mike in MN

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Mike!

Thank you for your help. Im not going to stress out so much now :)

Thanks again
    Sam

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Mike!

Thank you for your help. Im not going to stress out so much now :)

Thanks again
    Sam

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is an update of my funny seedling.

The chunk doesn't seem as bad now, but the stem is a bit more dis coloured than it was and it seems to be getting tall and skinny.

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is an update of my funny seedling.

The chunk doesn't seem as bad now, but the stem is a bit more dis coloured than it was and it seems to be getting tall and skinny.

{{!gwi}}

• ginger9899
    10 years ago

That is odd! My seedlings with that still just have the small spot at the bottom. I wonder what the heck it is? It'll be interesting to see how it progresses.

-Heather

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's the weirdest thing! Its only on that one. Im going to transplant them today so im hopeing that's going to help.

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Before and After re potting. Hopefully it'll pull through

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Sam,
    I hope it pulls through for you.
    I was thinking possible insect damage or heat scald? The yellow leaves do not look too good, in last photo after potting up. The leaves look a bit greener. The roots look healthy.
    I imagine if the base is not damaged around the whole circumference, atleast it could survive.
    Rick

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It could be insect maybe, its definately feels and looks healthy apart from the 'bleaching' and the chunk out of the bottom. There's was no definate bite marks to speak of though........ part of my morning ritual involves getting up, making a coffee then out the back to say good morning to the 'babies' :D I definitely would have noticed teeth marks.

I have my fingers crossed and will post update photos in a few weeks.

• sam401
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's the weirdest thing! Its only on that one. Im going to transplant them today so im hopeing that's going to help.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner