Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jv44

Dual main stems

jv44
10 years ago

In the posting titled 'Showing Off!' there's a pic of a seedling (obesum?) with 2 main stems. I don't know how often these occur naturally but I've seen older plants with 2 main stems and I think they look really unique, like having two plants in one!

Anyway.....I have two such seedlings--the first one, pictured here, is another super-compact arabicum called 'Diamond Scintillation'. In the last week or so the two stems have gotten really thick and heavy as it grows.

Comments (10)

• jv44
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The second one I have is an hybrid obesum, Star of Black Night x Ko_Ebay whatever the number was....I found the Ko_Ebay one labelled as Dark Lord by Rinoa if I recall correctly. At any rate, both parents are red/black flowers, heavy on the black. I almost lost this one after repotting it a couple months ago, which explains the lack of leaves on the stem as well as it being much shorter than the rest of the seedlings I have of this cross.

Mike in MN

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

I have a couple that produced two leaders at base as well Mike. The one in particular is a obesum Neo- Doxon hybrid (seed through Aust. group).
    They are quite interesting.
    Your Diamond Scintillation seedling is quite the specimen and the
    Obesum X has a very nice burgundy hue to it.
    Rick

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

I like them both, such a good looking seedlings.
    Marie

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Looking awesome, Mike!!

Strong work!!!

Thanks!!!

Take care,

Laura

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 21:44

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

It will be interesting to follow these 2 through the coming season and see how they both develop, thanks for sharing. I really like the look of the second seedling.

Gill UK.

• Aggie2
    10 years ago

So cool looking.Thanks to you guys I'm getting closer to buy arabicum seeds! :)

• jv44
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Aggie--getting closer? Just go for it! They're no more difficult to grow than obesums.

• Aggie2
    10 years ago

Need to figure out where to get them, don't like dealing with import issues, and need couple different types at once... Dear family may flip out, so I just have one shot, and a lot of seedlings soon after! ;)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Aggie,
    There are a few people you could get them from. If wanting Arabicums and/or obesums, try adenium_ko (through eBay, can send a message and he could give you email as he has them for sale other than eBay), also Rinoa at orient Adenium (also eBay and has other email if you ask.). If you go on Facebook you can look up Rinoa at Orientadenium and her 2014 seed list can be downloaded.
    If you want short compact ones try 'Tiny Ding Dong', the 'Mini-size hybrids',
    and for a larger selection of Arabicums. I think that adeniumcenter (Kukuan)eBay, has quite a few to choose from.
    All of these supply Phyto. Cert. and should not have any issues with getting them.
    Hope some of this helps,
    Rick

• Aggie2
    10 years ago

Thanks Rick, will work on it this week!

Thanks for the names, compact are good, more plants on same square footage! I'm already seriously into small Hoya and African violets minis. Small and fat Arabicums would fit good, my oldest obesums are getting way to big. Thinking about planting them in ground...

Aggie

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA