Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trip_kc

Please rescue ailing arabicum

trip_kc
11 years ago

I acquired this arabicum last year.It was resting during winters in covered verandah.
When I barerooted it a weak ago for repotting I observed that it's caudex had got rotted.
After removing rotted roots only crown remains
had sprinkled fungicide on cut part and plant is now resting
any tips on reviving this adenium from experts are welcome
weather at my place is cool with temp ranging between 12 to 23 celcius

Comments (24)

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Trip_kc, I am sorry your arabicum wasn't doing well.
    You did the best you can do, but it is not easy to save this baby. Good luck..
    Marie

• trip_kc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Marie for kind words but I am not going to give up so early.
    Is it possible to use remaining portion as cutting?
    I think we can get another plant if we are able to root it

• tolip
    11 years ago

From that photo, your plant looks dead. If you cut the branches and if they are black like what the caudex look like in that photo, they would also be dead and would not be good for cuttings. A good branch for a cutting would be white when cut.

• trip_kc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Tolip Tropical for keen observation
    however I have to update that I had cut rotted caudex till the point I got white flesh
    it had turned black due to application of fungicide.Stems are stil alive and I am thinking of planting entire plant together
    maybe last try before declaring it is dead
    heard somewhere that adeniums are very hardy and survive from scratch

• tolip
    11 years ago

I had tried rescuing adeniums that looked much better than yours and none had made it. Even cuttings of plants that had started to rot weren't of much use and none had rooted. Good to give a try and hope it works for you.

• kodom087 z9a
    11 years ago

Oh no! This would make me sad if that'd happened to any of my adeniums. Hope you are able to save it some how.

Kirk

• MRI_Guy
    11 years ago

Well, all I can say is "go for it, what have you got to lose?" If you do nothing, it will surely die. If you try to save it, it might die. It's worth a try...

Good luck - Scott

• teyo
    11 years ago

Do not plant it and especially do not water it. Tie it with a woman's nylon sock or similar soft synthetic material somewhere between the caudex and the branches and hang it somewhere warm with good air circulation and out if direct sunlight. In a couple of months (not weeks, months), you may see bumps on the end of the caudex, let them develop a bit and only then plant it, even then use a very fast draining mix and avoid all peat, cactus mixes and similar.water only by spraying lightly until it develops true feeder roots, or it will just rot again. Your plant has no roots and no root tissue right now, keep that in mind.

Thats what i would do anyhow, you decide for yourself. Good luck!

• teyo
    11 years ago

P.S. sometimes adeniums, especially arabicums are root shaped by cutting off the entire root system and doing as i wrote above. This allows the grower to form the roots from scratch, because they develop a ton of new roots from bumps all the same size. Many of the large crawling (crab) adeniums you can see in thai exibitions were developed that way, who is to say yours can't do it too. The only thing that worries me is that blackening from fungicide, i am worried you may have burned the soul out of it with that, but nothing can be done now, at least it will be protected from fungus.

• trip_kc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Kirk and Scott
    got the point
    going to give the plant another try and hope tricks suggested by Scott work

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Is what remains if the caudex hollow, it looks as if it is in the picture and only an outer rim is remaining?
    Gill from the UK.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Bump.......Just wondering what has happened to the OP and the aliling Arabicum...things do not look good to me.
    Gill from the UK.

This post was edited by greenclaws on Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 10:59

• trip_kc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nothing can beat an arabicum in resilience

• trip_kc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi everybody
    now I am sure adenium is resilient.The plant many had declared dead had bounced back to life and is thriving
    I just put it in coarse sand and waited patiently.When observed signs of life dug it out and saw that tiny roots are growing I potted it in regular potting mix of coarse river sand and cowdung manure and it picked up with leaves on all the tips.Hope I get lot of roots when I repot and wish a nice specimen.
    This being my first arabicum I am emotionally attached and was feeling guilt of suspected killing
    Happy that It came back.Now waiting for reward from it in form of flowers.Right now it is enjoying full sun on my terrace and have another 4 months growing season
    thanks all for valuable advice in time
    Happy friendship day to all friends on forum

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Glad that it survived. It will make that plant more special for you.

Kirk

• averil
    10 years ago

Wow! Isn't nature a great thing with a little help. Well done, your arabicum looks a picture of health. I'm astonished it has done so well
    Kind regards
    Averil
    UK

• mscynthia
    10 years ago

I'm amazed and impressed. Congrats on such a dramatic rescue!

Cynthia

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Very Impressive!!!

Strong work!!!

Laura

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

;-). Edit. Double post. Lol

Laura

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Mon, Aug 5, 13 at 0:21

• Danielle Rose
    10 years ago

Wow! That is quite an amazing recovery ... I really didn't think a plant with that much damage could survive. Well done!!

• haworthia
    10 years ago

I can't believe that this is still alive and quite well. I'm impress!great job. I just thought this plant wouldn't make it when I read your post. I would have tossed it in the trash but now I know not to give up easily. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• tolip
    10 years ago

Well done on rescuing the plant!

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Thank you for making us all aware of the resilience of these plants.
    You deserve a hand of applause for your patience and diligence in bring this plant back to life.
    Thank you for the education.
    Rick

• trip_kc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all for praise and encouragement.
    Purpose of posting development was just to convey that one should never give up or loose hope with adeniums.They seem ever ready to reward us even for little care
    keep sharing