Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lme5573

Newbie waiting for seeds and spring weather

lme5573
10 years ago

Greetings! I saw an adenium in the mall, a decoration in a restaurant. It is dormant, only a few leaves, but I fell in love with the sculptural qualities of the caudex and branches. I started reading the Adenium forum, and have learned a lot, and now I feel like I know you guys. So it's only fair that you know I am lurking, reading and learning all I can.
I ordered seeds from EBay, and then realized it's going to be tough to generate enough heat for germination. I live in Michigan, zone 5, and like all the Midwest USA, we've had a brutal winter. My furnace is set @68F, which isn't warm enough, so I've been checking around the house to find the warmest spot. Right now I can get an even 76F in my oven with the light on. During the day, I can get about 70F if boosted to 7" under my fluorescent lights.
I plan to try to germinate 6 seeds, just to see if I can keep sprouts alive, and save the rest for warmer weather.
I'd love to hear when do you usually sow seed? How warm should it be to germinate outdoors? Our nightly low temps never average above 60F.
Thanks!
Lennie in SW Lower Michigan

I realize I may have better luck buying one rather than growing from seed. I hope I'll find a small one (or two) this spring at the BB stores.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH