Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenclaws

Seeds aare sprouting!!

After planting five types of Adenium on Monday evening, this morning I noticed one had begun to sprout! It's an Arabicum and it is already visible and pushing through the soil.

This time I have tried omething different as I've used those compressed coir pellets you soak for 5 mins and then pop a single seed into each one. They're in a simple on/off type electric propagator on the windowcill with a thermometer in it. The temp has been hovering between 25 and 30C so it seems to be having the desirred effect.

Has any one else used these pellet things as I was wondering after I set it all up, does the little membrane surrounding them restrict the roots?...as this is partly what we grow them for. I guess it must do to some extent, maybe best to let them grow on and then wash the coir away and set in proper Adenium soil....any thoughts out there?
Gill from the UK.

Comments (31)

• adenium1949
    11 years ago

Hello Gill,
    Congratulations on the new seedling, I'm sure there will be many more. I haven't used the coir version, I used many when they were compressed peat but that was long before adeniums came on the scene. I found that when planted in the garden they came up at the end of the season the same as they went in. It would have been better had the netting dissolved. Maybe the new types are different? If not I think its something the makers should address. Anyway, good luck with them and post lots of pictures.

BrianUK.

• adenium1949
    11 years ago

Hello again Gill,
    Just had a thought, do you live near an Aldi store? They have some excellent trays of small individual pots very cheap.

Brian UK.

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Gill, that is fast....your seeds are doing good...
    Update regularly with pictures please.

Marie

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Brian, the coir pellets were from B&Q and they don't have that netting as such, that never did disintegrate did it? I remember that kind...as you say, a while ago!! I dont want the bigger roots to be restricted really. These have a very fine texture, I'll soak and dismember one tomorrow and see what it's like, I think I may take them out once they're bigger. I actually have some of those tiny pots from Aldi, 40 in a tray I think it was, but wanted to try another method that I have seen lots of commercial growers use. I only planted half of the seeds so still have some left as back-up..... I think It will be pots for those.

Hello Marie, yes it is a rather quick burst into life isn't it? It was the biggest of the Arabicum seeds at an easy 1cm long. It will be interesting to see it's progress. I'll post some pics tomrrow hopefully....I'm under the weather at the mo with a raging bad throat, croak.
    Gill from the UK.

• MRI_Guy
    11 years ago

I received my Arabicum Black RCN seeds today and waiting for the Thai Soco's to arrive. I'll be watching for your pictures Gill! What are the 5 types that you planted?

Scott

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone, well I'm back in the land of the living after a week of feeling truly dreadful!
    Meanwhile my newly sown DR's seeds have been doing really well. I planted 14 seeds and 13 have started to grow, the final having rotted, so I am more than please with the results. I have some more seeds to sow as I saved some as back-up (I have been known to boil the little darlings to death before!), think I'll put them in tomorrow. We have had some really clear sunny weather here, but it's still chilly so they have enjoyed life in the propagator with no lid on just bottom heat while the sun has been on them in the window.

Scott, You asked what types I have planted...they include Arabicum 'Bouquet', mixed Socotranums, 2 named obesum varieties....'Saturn' & 'Lucia' and some mixed obesum hybrids.

Now for my other good news....I am also very pleased to tell you that I now have growth on all the 3 of my 'big guys'...you know, my original obesums. I was really thinking one of them was never going to show signs of life ever again, but yesterday I noticed some bumps that are swelling nicely! All 3 of them have rock hard caudexes now, so that must be a good sign after what they went through last November. The last remaining small Arabicum 'Black Pearl' is still a bit on the soft side but is also sprouting. The 3 small Obesums have also pulled through, no major growth as yet, but they are alive.
    So, all is well and I'm on my way to replacing my plants again, it will take a while, but I will get there, thanks to Rick and ebay!
    Gill from the UK.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

here's the seedlings today, the pic went AWOL from the post above

• MRI_Guy
    11 years ago

Wow - looking good Gill! I'm so glad to hear that you're seeds are sprouting and especially that your "Big Guys" are on the road to recovery! I'll be planting Arabicums and Soco's this coming weekend too...

Scott

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Scott, thanks! I call them my 'big guys' as they are bigger than my small ones! Don't expect too much as they're not that big really, say 8inches high from soil level. At least the one I lost was not the nicest shaped out of the 4, it was like a skittle that had yet to grow any significant branches.

The Arabicum seedlings are quite large compared to the others, you can easily pick the 3 of them out, they are a day older than the obesums to the left of the tray and already have the distinct Arabicum leaf shape. The skinny fellahs on the right are the 2 Somalense, same age as obesums. They tend to be tall and rather more upright in growth than the other varieties. A couple are being shy and have yet to show themselves, but they have germinated.
    Keep us all posted on your seeds progress. Things are hotting up on the forum now the winter has passed. Let's hope we all have an exceptional season....for all the right reasons!
    Gill from the UK.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My second batch of seeds have begun to sprout. They were planted on Tuesday, so that's 3 days again. Just shows you that they were all very fresh seeds. The sunny weather has gone for the time being, light levels are low and it's rather gloomy here. I now have all the seedlings under an anglepoise lamp during the late afternoon onwards just to give them a bit extra light. It's not a grow light per se, just an energy efficient high output/low watt bulb which I have used before.
    Gill from the UK.

• MRI_Guy
    11 years ago

10 Thai Socotranum "Khao Hin Son" arrived in the mail today and after a 2 hr. soaking in tepid water, they went into the germinator along with 10 Arabicum "Black RCN" seeds. The seeds are from "Adenium Center", first time I've ordered from them, so I'll be curious to see the germination rate. Seeds looked great though, very clean and plump. I'll post "baby pictures" after they hatch...

Scott

• kodom087 z9a
    11 years ago

Congrats, everyone!

I'm jealous of the arabicums and socotranums. Looking forward to see the developing pics.

Kirk

• MRI_Guy
    11 years ago

So far, so good - 100% germination of the seeds I purchased from Adenium Center! I thought I had only 80% success until this morning when I saw the last of them pushing the soil up. I wonder why a few of the Arabicums were up in only 3 days and the last of the Soco's took 7 days? And that was so much fun that I loaded up the germinator with 10 more Arabicum Black RCN's and 10 Thai Socotranum "CHADA PETCH" seeds fresh from Adenium center. I love this hobby and I have to admit, I've barely noticed the passing of winter this year...

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    11 years ago

Hey Scott,
    That is fantastic. I also had excellent %'s of germination with Kukuan's (adeniumcenter) seeds.
    Not sure why some take a bit longer to sprout. Wonder if possibly the seed inhibitor takes longer to break or more moisture to soften outer husk of seed?
    The Arabicums sure heave the soil when they sprout. It's like "here I am"
    In comparison to some of the other species/hybrids.

Hope to see some photo's sometime of your new arrivals.
    Rick

• averil
    11 years ago

Hi Gill, Ive planted all of my seeds in coir pellets and all have done well. The "skin" becomes very papery after a while and I have no doubt that adeniums would be able to fight their way out of them or if repotting just peel it away. Im glad your big guys are doing okay. Mine have survived through their first winter so Im just hoping for a good summer that they can enjoy
    Rgds
    Averil (UK)

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello Averil. I have re-potted some of the seedlings into regular plastic pots, they will go into clay ones when bigger ...hopefully! I didn't like keeping them in the coir mix for too long for fear of root rot as it stays very wet so I peeled the membrane away and picked off the bulk of the coir. They germinated very well in the pellets so I would use them again. I thought I'd got lots of 2.5 inch pots, but was mistaken so I now need to get some more for the rest of the seedlings. It will mean another 20mile round trip I guess...What I get myself into with these DR's amazes me! Bought some so called 'Verve' Cactus compost from B&Q for the re-pot, just dashed in and grabbed 2 bags off the rack...it's utter rubbish. Give me a few thin canes and I could pass it off as chocolate candy floss, it's so light and fluffy!! I have just printed off a letter of complaint to B&Q, I was so disgusted with it.

Yes, the big guys are doing just grand with lots of new shoots all over them. Sadly, 'Little Howard' met his maker along with the last struggling somalense seedling in the aftermath of the 'incident'. I did try very hard Bikerdoc to save him, honestly. So I have 5 left from the original 14. but am now well on my way to replacing my collection again.
    Lets hope we can all have a good season this year.
    Gill from the UK.

• MRI_Guy
    11 years ago

Hello Rick - well here's a picture of the 10 Arabicum RCN's that "hatched" over a 7 day period, the last 2 showed their face last Saturday, a week after they were planted. But they're all doing well and there are 20 more seeds in the germinator (planted last Saturday) and 2 of them (Arabicums) have heaved the soil and announced their arrival already. And tomorrow is the 1st day of Spring (at 7pm for us) which means that today is the LAST full day of Winter!

• ladylotus
    11 years ago

I cannot take it anymore...I just have to ask. What type of germinators are you guys/gals using?

• MRI_Guy
    11 years ago

I use the germinator shown at the link below, but I paid $36.00 at a local "Fleet & Farm" store for mine. I didn't use the little peat plugs provided, although I do use them for other seeds and they work great. I use the same 10 count fiber planters shown in the previous photo. I prefer them because after sprouting, those little planters fit perfectly into the "window sill" planters that I use to grow them out a little, also shown in the above photo. I guess it's more of a convenience, for me anyway. Good luck!

Scott

Here is a link that might be useful: Jiffy Heated Greenhouse

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    11 years ago

Your seedlings look great Scott.
    That greenhouse/germinator is quite a neat set up. I use a heat mat and plant the seeds in the container of choice and then slip into a ziploc bag.
    Close up almost complete and put fill with air and place on heat mat. I open it up every few days to change air. I like that set up that you have.

I am looking forward to spring and being able to get mine outside.
    Rick

• ladylotus
    11 years ago

Scott,

Thank you for the information. Basically you are just using a heat mat. That is what I use to germinate most of my seeds too. From the way people were talking I thought it was an elaborate oven like item.

I love everyones Adenium plants. I'm excited as I have some Socotranum and Somalense seeds coming. I've never grown these two varieties so I'm really excited to get the seeds and get them started.

• MRI_Guy
    11 years ago

A couple pictures of the heated germinator with the top on and off. 5 Socotranum "Chada Pech"
    and 1 Arabicum "Black RCN" are up since I planted them on Saturday.
    {{gwi:339388}}

{{gwi:339390}}

Scott

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's a neat looking machine Scott! Seems like there will soon be several of us with whole forests of DR's and of several species also.
    Gill from the UK.

• ladylotus
    11 years ago

Scott, that is a very nice setup. At the rate I am planting seeds this year I may need to get myself some more trays. LOL

• MRI_Guy
    11 years ago

3 days later and the seedlings are doing great. Each morning I lift the lid and find a few more seeds have hatched. In the foreground are 7 Thai Socotranum and in the background are 5 Arabicums. I'm looking forward to potting them up when they are a little more mature and setting them out on our South facing deck over the summer!

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They're looking really good Scott. The rate at which fresh DR seed will germinate always amazes me. I have grown many types of plants from seed but these are the real speed merchants. I've just worked out that my record has been 59 hours, from sowing to seeing growth actually above the soil. (how obsessive is that? lol!) Can they possibly get any faster than that I wonder? With all these seedlings around we are going to have a good 2013!
    Gill from the UK.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Beautiful seedlings, everyone! Does make the long winters pass faster.

Gill, you are a trooper to keep several adeniums going in a less-than-hospitable climate. I hope you get some good size and beautiful blooms from them soon! You deserve it!

I was given several little obesum and arabicum seedlings last year and they're all doing well. I can start putting them out here in Austin.

Are you all pinching your seedlings that second year to promote bushy growth?

Jen

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Hello, Jen!

If you look for my thread for 5 Month Old Seedlings you can see where I talked about pinching them back and the results so far. In fact I may do an update later today. You can pinch or prune them any time during growing season at any age.

Kirk

• MRI_Guy
    10 years ago

I transplanted my 4 week old seedlings (seeds planted 03/16/2013) a week ago and they're all happy in
    their new 2" peat pots. They are Arabicum Black RCN and Thai Socotranum Chata Petch.

{{gwi:339392}}

{{gwi:339393}}

Scott

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Scott,
    Those are looking so good and it looks as though you get a lot of good sun light where you live.

Jen,
    You shouldn't have to pinch out the Arabicum as they naturally grow multiple,
    terminal growth points.
    Rick

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Kirk and Rick, thanks for the responses! Before I read yours, Rick, I pruned back the arabicums. These particular ones bled a reddish latex, weird like those trees on Socotra that "bleed". Probably a distant relative.

All my obesum seedlings starting putting out shoots right away, so I hope to see nice bushy babies by mid-summer!

You all are always so helpful--thanks again!

Jen

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts