Return to the Adenium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First blooms of 2014

Posted by adenium1949 UK (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 12:30

Hello all,
Here are a couple of photos taken this afternoon in rather dull light. This plant first bloomed last september and these blooms although much smaller started to grow a full three months ago. They have not been under lights but have been in a favoured position by a radiator. The blooms have 10 petals. Small or not, they are very welcome at this time of year. No other plants are producing buds, so it will be a long time before the next blooms, so I am making the most of these.
Best of luck.
Brian UK.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First blooms of 2014

Here is the whole plant.

o

Very nice bloom, Brian. I would be appreciative of such a bloom anytime of year, but for coming out of winter makes it special.
Rick

o

That is a beautiful color! Lucky you :)

-Heather

o

Beautiful....

What a wonderful Valentine's Day Gift!!!! Love the color too!!!

Laura

o

Excellent Brian i am in Thailand and my baby"s are still asleep !

o

Perfect time for Valentine. Beautiful color.
Marie

o

Thanks to all for your responses. The seedling was grown from Mr Ko's seed of 'Miracle' x Ko 45. 'Miracle' seems to pass on some excellent characteristics as I have seen from other samples, so if more become available it may be worth a go if you haven't tried seed with that as one of the parents. By the way, I forgot to mention that the blooms are scented, strange as the first bloom last year was not.
Happy growing.
Brian UK.

o

Hi Brian, that is gorgeous. Mine are still asleep, but at least they are alive lol. What soil medium do you use Brian? I hope you don't mind me asking, but I've never had a flower yet.
Kind regards Averil

o

Hello Averil,
I use Miracle Gro potting compost mixed with Perlite. They seem to like this mix. I also keep them under-potted and don't repot untill they try to break out. This works for me. The plant in the photo is in a 5 inch pot, the largest plastic pot I would use, any larger and it is clay as this mix is water retentive.
Best regards.
Brian UK.

o

Brian, thanks for that. I am going to repot in spring so I shall try your mix and see how they get on. I am always impressed the way you get yours to flower.
Kind regards
Averil

o

Hello Brian, yet another great flowering plant you have there again. The colour is lovely and must be so welcome at this time of year, especially in the UK. You do seem to have exceptionally green fingers, and thumbs where Adeniums are concerned and I congratulate you!

BTW, my/your 2 plants are doing well, the larger one is in full leaf after a short dormancy and is looking all shiny and pristine at the moment. The smaller of the two is just breaking into leaf and all is well with that one too, thank goodness :) I have noticed how soft and velvety the undersides of the larger plants leaves are, something I've not found on any of my other plants. Hopefully the soon to arrive spring season will see some more activity not only on the forum but also with our plants as it's been a wet old winter here in Blighty.

Hello to Averill also, lets hope we can emulate Brian's spectacular efforts and get some flowers for ourselves this year!! Good luck!!

Regards, Gill UK

o

Hello Gill,
I am glad the plants are doing well for you, I predict they will both flower and amaze you. I recall that the larger plant was developing a good caudex too, so best of luck.
Brian UK.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Adenium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here