Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mri_guy

New Grafted DR

MRI_Guy
11 years ago

I received this nice grafted DR today via UPS from "AdeniumRose.com". I had it shipped 2nd Day Air from Miami and it survived the trip to Wisconsin in February. They packed it well and placed a pair of 72 hour heat packs in the wrappings. And as an extra bonus - they threw in a smaller grafted DR just for good measure! I'll definitely do business with them again...

Scott

Comments (20)

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

How fantastic Scott, that looks a lovely plant. Well done to AdeniumRose for shipping it so carefully to you. How tall is it as it's difficult to tell from the picture with nothing for comparison? Did you chose the grafts or will you get a total surprise?
    Gill from the UK.

• MRI_Guy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello Gill - yes, you're right, there's nothing for reference in the photo. It's in a 10" pot, is 16" tall above the soil line and measures 18" around the base, this picture may help to put it into perspective (this is my 4' wide office window garden). I could tell it was a healthy plant as the caudex was rock hard and the plant, bare root, weighs about 3 pounds. And yes, it will be a surprise as I purchased it as "unproven", that is, it hasn't bloomed yet to prove its color. I was told that it will likely be a dark red or red/white flower, we'll see, and that's half the fun! AdeniumRose received the plant from Thailand in December 2012.

Scott

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    11 years ago

That is a beautiful plant Scott.
    Looks to have 4 scions grafted onto different branches. Are they all the same or different?
    Looks almost like the little branch with a bit of green leaves on it is below the grafted scion. If so wonder what it will be?
    Either way,what excellent new addition to your group of Adeniums. Nice caudex on that one to.
    Rick

• MRI_Guy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Rick, and after the picture was taken, I sliced off that little branch that was not part of the grafts. And I don't know if the scions are the same or different as I bought it at a discount because it was unproven and the seller could not say for certain what the grafts would turn out to be. If you look closely at the picture, just above the little branch that I had removed, there is a small cluster of 3 flower buds. I'm sure that after being uprooted in Miami, shipped to Wisconsin and then being replanted here, that the buds will come to nothing, but who knows? Also note the bloom on the DR just to the right of the new plant in the latest picture; it still has an open flower that is now 10 days old...

Scott

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Beautiful plant Scott. I ordered 4 plants from Adeniumrose last year and the blooms looked exactly like in the pictures. I was very happy with their service and price too.

Good choice on the sliced off that little branch, focus on all 4 grafted scions.

Marie

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    11 years ago

The flowers are so long lasting. I had a first bloom on one of my grafted plants last year and it lasted so long.
    Your plant is quite remarkable and cannot wait to see it in flower for you.
    Please make sure you post Photos Scott,
    Rick

• MyLan153
    11 years ago

How nice is your window garden space and the DR's are so healthy. Hope you'll have beautiful flowers on the new DR.
    I see the one that had 2 branches and you did a hard prune it awhile ago, it looks pretty good. I had a 2-branch DR too, and I want to hard prune and repot it at the same time. Do you or anyone have any ideas please advice. MyLan

• MRI_Guy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well I can only share my own experiences as I am still an amateur. I took the advice of my forum friend Gill from the UK and although I did a fairly drastic prune, repotted it and during the winter too, it survived and is doing great. The leaves are bright green and the branches are growing out. I think the fact that the plant is over 10 years old with a very well developed root system helped a lot. I kept it warm and watered following the amputation and it responded with new growth almost immediately. I sealed the cuts with honey and it prevented any discoloration of the wood. I only wish I would have known 10 years ago what I had and lifted the caudex every year and moved it into a shallower pot to limit the downward growth of the roots but oh well, live and learn...

Scott

• kodom087 z9a
    11 years ago

Congrats on the new addition! A nice looking growing collection you have going there.

My sister bought me 2 grafted (proven) DRs from them last fall and I can't wait to see them bloom this Spring!
    Kirk

• MRI_Guy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The first bloom opened on my grafted DR that I purchased from "AdeniumRose.com". Because I purchased it "un-proven", I had no idea what flower type I was getting. There are 5 more buds on this plant getting fatter each day, so I should have more flowers to enjoy in a week or so...

Scott

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Scott,
    That is a very nice flower and nice to be getting them now. The red stripes in the throat are similar to the 'crispum' species, maybe one of the parent plants was crosses with crispum.
    Congratulations.
    Rick

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Scott, that is gorgeous.
    Marie

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Pretty flower. I like that one a lot. Congrats!

Kirk

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Hello Scott, you have a lovely looking flower there, I hope you like it too! It's a bit more interesting with the veining I think compared to solid pink. How big are the flowers please? Very nice plant, I like it's shapely bottom!
    Gill from the UK.

• MRI_Guy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gill - this bloom is about 2.5" across vs. the 3.5" pinks on the older Pruned DR. And yes, I like the flower very much! And thanks to everyone else too, it's great to have success with my new hobby. I'm so looking forward to Summer with full sunshine and higher temps for these guys and all my seedlings which I have transplanted individually into little 2" peat pots. They're all doing well too!

Scott

• MRI_Guy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Stopped into the office this morning and was greeted by some new open flowers. There are now 3 on my
    original "Hard-pruned" plant and 3 open on the grafted plant. Makes me actually look forward to going to
    work Monday morning!

Scott

{{gwi:339469}}

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Congrats! They look great! Something about seeing adeniums in bloom just make me happy. The side effect is that it makes me more obsessed with them. LOL

Kirk

• adenium1949
    10 years ago

Scott,
    All offices should look like that ! and so early in the season too. Just imagine how much bloom by midsummer. Keep the pictures coming.

Brian UK.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Just beautiful. I'm not a particularly 'pink' person but I can definitely cope with both those plants!
    Gill UK.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz