Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginger9899

Brown Leaf Tips

ginger9899
10 years ago

Can anyone tell me if this looks like too much water, too much fertilizer, not enough water, etc? This is a 9 month old seedling that started getting these brown and yellow leaf tips and I am wondering what I am doing wrong. It has been through a lot lately, in and out on cold nights, staying out down to 50 degrees. I have been flaky on watering because of this. I was thinking seedlings didn't go dormant on their first winter. Also, is actually growing either a really really red leaf or trying to bud now!

Thanks for any advice!

{{gwi:339484}}

{{gwi:339485}}

{{gwi:339486}}

- Heather

Comments (5)

• L_urch
    10 years ago

In my (minimal) experience, some of my seedlings started doing the same thing when I moved them inside months ago.They eventually went dormant. I was under the impression seedlings didn't go dormant either. However, about 3/4 of my seedlings lost their leaves and the other 1/4 quit growing but kept their leaves. I hooked up some grow lights a month ago and the ones that had the brown leaves that fell are kicking back into gear.

Long story short in my experience that's what mine looked like when they went dormant for the winter.

• ginger9899
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for sharing L_urch. Sounds like it could be what mine is going through.

-Heather

• ZOS150
    10 years ago

I don't know about Adeniums as I'm new to them, but I have had this with other plants and it was fertilizer burn from too much fertilizer. Just a thought.

• Aggie2
    10 years ago

Hi Ginger,

Half of mine, seedlings and large plants are doing same in Miami.
    Largest plants are too big to move inside, so they are reacting to crazy weather we had this winter. I don't think they will go dormant, but they are loosing leaves and sending very small flower buds!? We had a lot of rain for the dry season, and plants are totally confused.
    Small plants (all grafted) and seedlings are traveling back and forth from patio to the dining table, with same leaf damage as yours. Now outside for 10 days, and pushing new leaves... Most likely central heat inside wasn't best for plants used to Florida humid climate. I would just monitor your plants to make sure that they are going dormant, and water accordingly. All seedlings I have are 1 year old, and are water hogs, just now I can see caudex changing to more mature stage so they may be better with less water.

Aggie

• ginger9899
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Aggie, given that our climate and situation is so close it is good to know this may be normal due to this time of year and the moving we do. BTW, I am in Fort Myers, so a little colder than you but not too much different.

ZOS150, on the flip side what you say could ring true also. I did fertilize them about a week before I noticed more brown tips. I shouldn't have fertilized or watered some of them at that time probably. I grow most of mine in the gritty mix and I use Foliage Pro fertilizer pretty much every time. I'm afraid to skip it as the gritty mix has no nutrients. It is possible though I gave too much or have just watered and fertilized at the wrong time.

I will pay more attention to possible dormancy in these little ones. I am hoping the weather here is going to allow them to stay out from here on out now :)

-Heather

This post was edited by ginger9899 on Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 13:20

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm