Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
houndhome

Seeds

Houndhome
10 years ago

Does anyone have any good resources for adenium seeds? I have searched through some of the threads and have seen the ones over seas but would like to get some in the US so I don't have to wait long. Any info would be appreciated.

This post was edited by Houndmom on Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 18:17

Comments (21)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

You may find some through people on this site or others.
    It really does not take that long to get them from say Rinoa, Adenium_ko, adeniumcenter. A few of the US suppliers I had seen before had a very high price tag, with shipping and seeds cost made them quite costly in comparison.
    Hope you find some.
    Rick

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Houndmom, if you order on Ebay now, seeds will be here in about 4 weeks and you can sow them around April. You still have plenty of time for AZ weather.

Buy the cheapest seeds you can find, forget about the color, since all the seeds mostly pink.
    Marie

• Houndhome
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the info Rick & Marie. I just ordered some from amazon, the cheapest I could get so I will keep my fingers crossed that they are fresh. I had some sent to me about a month ago and they never grew, I think they were old. The weather here has been warm so I am anxious to try again.

• jv44
    10 years ago

I have to agree with Rick--your best bet would be to order from Rinoa Chen or Mr Ko, they're easily the most reliable seed sellers. Both are in Taiwan and they include the needed phytosanitary certificate. Adeniumcenter is in Thailand and they're also good--they have a good selection of arabicum seeds. I've ordered from all three of these sources in the past and have always gotten very good germination resulting in healthy seedlings. If price is an issue, I think Mr. Ko's seeds are the lowest priced--IF you order directly from him instead of bidding on Ebay. Both Rinoa and Ko can also be found on Facebook--Rinoa's page is called Orient Adenium while Mr Ko's is called KO Chi Lung if I remember correctly.

As for colors of the flowers.....you can check out the results that David Clulow gets from Ko seeds--he posts photos frequently on Facebook in the group THE Adenium Group. Definitely not the usual simple pink and white flowers. In a few days I'll post a photo of a t-shirt I'm airbrushing with one of David's more spectacular obesum blooms--I'm working on it right now!

Mike in MN

• Houndhome
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So I ordered seeds from amazon as well as mr ko. I just received the seeds from amazon and I don't think they are adenium seeds, they are small roundish and dark brown. The adenium seeds that I have seen have all been long/narrow. Do these look right?

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Houndmom,
    They definitely are not Adenium seeds. They almost look like Morning Glory seeds.
    Adenium seeds are Biege/brown in color, about 3/8" - 1/2" in length, tubular in shape.
    I hope you can get a refund if they where purchased as Adeniums?
    You will be very happy with Ko's seeds.
    Sorry to hear of this mishap.
    Rick

• Houndhome
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ya, I thought they were something other than adenium. Guess it's a lesson learned and will wait patiently for ko seeds. Thank you Rick!

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

Can you go back to Amazon and report the seller. They may be able to get your money back. What jerks. Good luck Paula

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

I agree, those are definitely not adenium seeds...it will be interesting to see what pops up from them though! Let us know eh? Hope you get it sorted. Your Mr Ko seeds should be spot on, he is a very reputable supplier.

Soak your adenium seed for a couple of hours in warmish water and sow under surface of moist compost, keep it moist/warm till they pop (3 days upwards, roughly) and till they are strong and growing well. If you need any other info...come back ;)
    Gill UK

• Davu
    9 years ago

HI, I just came back to the gardenweb forum after a long absence. After a year or two here I find that I am weeding out Adenium seedlings all the time! Sorry the foto is sideways on. Anyway after a drying out period the pod opens and the seeds blow away on the wind. I am still trying to breed a perfect red, very expensive here by Thai standards.

• Houndhome
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Everyone - Well I am out of luck with my order from Amazon and have taken it as a lesson learned. I did receive my seeds from Mr Ko and will hopefully get those planted tonight. Thank you all for your help and keep your fingers crossed for me. I'll let you know in a few days if I have any luck.

• lme5573
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing your experience with your order from Amazon. I was shopping for seeds about the same time, and considered buying those seeds, too. Good luck with the seeds from Mr. Ko, I'm sure they will give you some great seedlings. Looking forward to the pix!

Lennie

• vegpatch
    9 years ago

Have you tried to trade for them here??
    http://members.gardenweb.com/members/exch-search.cgi

Here is a link that might be useful: Members with adenium seed

• Houndhome
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm about to give up! I received my seeds from Mr Ko last week and gave them a good soaking (3 hrs) and planted on Friday afternoon. I have been checking daily and have not seen any growth or movement at all. Soil is moist and I'm keeping them warm. Maybe I should stick with purchasing plants and not trying to start them from seed. Does anyone have any suggestions for me to try or should I throw in the towel? Not sure what to do at this point. Thank you all in advance!

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

Houndmom,
    Do not give up. I find that with most seed purchased that I see the first ones starting to heave the soil onthe 5th day and there after, so you just need to watch. Make sure not to keep them too wet, just mist the soil surface if it dries out.
    I keep mine on a heat mat just till germinated, but I do not live in Arizona.
    It does keep the soil at a constant temperature which is good.
    Keep us posted.
    Rick

• Pagan
    9 years ago

Hi Houndmom. I get sprouts after only 3 days with Mr. Ko's seeds (always excellent quality) but only--I repeat ONLY--because I use a heat mat which kept the soil temperature at 30C at night and about 36C during the day. Sown in the summer without the mat and with temperatures somewhat less severe, sprouts never came out until about a week and by the third week they were still coming out.

So, a LOT of heat and a LOT of light. In other words, you aren't done yet. Keep staring!

Pagan

• Houndhome
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yep you were right, I have seedlings! Thank you so much for the encouragement to keep going. Now to see if I can keep them going. Thank you all for your help, it is very much appreciated!!

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Pleased to read you have had some results, well done! Keep them a little on the moist side whilst small (but don't drown them either!), and as warm and bright as possible. The mix need not be as gritty and fast draining as larger seedlings, so give them a few weeks of good growth and then come back for the next stage when they can go into a free draining mix. I start to feed weakly after about a month or so from germinating.
    Gill UK

• Houndhome
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Happy to report that I have 9 (out of 10) Arabicum and 6 (out of 10) Obesum seedlings just plugging away. The Obesum seedlings are definitely smaller more delicate than the Arbicums which are starting to sprout their next set of leaves. So I am back for my next steps. Once they have a true next set of leaves, I can transplant into their own containers from the group container? Do I need to fertilize or do I wait until they are months older. These were planted on 4/11, so they are about 3 1/2 weeks old. Sorry about the photo quality. Thank you in advance!

• Davu
    9 years ago

the pods on the Adenium that we are trying to get deep red seedlings from opened this morning.

• veggie_girl
    9 years ago

How many seeds in that pod?

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms