Return to the Adenium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Root pruning

Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 18:58

I have a DR that I planned on root pruning this spring before it came out of dormancy. The problem is it's started to leaf out. Will root pruning now hurt the plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Root pruning

Whip1,
I am not sure if it was Mike that did some root pruning and replanted (seedlings) over a disc or something.
Is this a seedling or if not what size plant?
Are you wanting to prune to reduce pot size, Bonsai?

There are many that have done this, but I do not want to give advice, as I have no experience with this.
Chris (Durham Botanicals) I believe is very well versed on this and Bonsai Adeniums. Might be worth sending a note to him, he is very knowledgeable and helpful.
Rick

o

• Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 10, 14 at 13:11

The plant is a few years old, and about 8 inches tall. It hasn't been repoted in 3 years and i like to trim the large woody roots when I repot to make room for the finer feeder roots. I try to trim when the plants are dormant, and wasn't sure how it would react while actively growing.

o

I "pruned" the roots of my seedlings (some 1 year old and others 1/2 year old) about a month ago when I repotted them... I removed the whole taproot so they actually lost almost all their roots. The largest one was only about 4 inches or so. They had had leaves all winter and were growing.
The root pruning was a bit of shock to them but they recovered. At first their caudex got wrinkly and soft.. The caudexes also lost a lot of their size. Some of seedlings also started to drop older leaves.
Now about month later the caudexes have recovered to their former size and the plants are starting to grow again.. which I'm very glad of :) So for me it worked but my plants are smaller and younger than yours.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 14:56

Whip - it's better to do serious work, like hard pruning, root pruning and repotting, in the month prior to the plant's most robust growth .... and if you plan on root-pruning and hard pruning the top in the same growth cycle, you should stagger the operations so the plant is recovered from one before you do the other. I prefer to work on roots BEFORE I do any pruning of the top.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Adenium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here