Return to the Adenium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Storing seeds?

Posted by 54641210d none (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 20:16

How do I store extra seeds? And what's the maximum amount of time it'll stay viable?

I bought 60 seeds and I'm not sure if I should plant them all now, or store a part for later. Should I plant them all? I'm probably not going to get 100% germination, and not all that sprouts will live. Still, I don't want 40 Adenium plants to take care of right now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Storing seeds?

Everyone stores seeds in a different way and it seems fairly diverse.
I store mine in the little plastic bag they usually come in, inside of a ziploc bag inside a Tupperware storage container in the crisper of my fridge.
All of my seeds of different types this way.
If you have 60 seeds, all of one species and hybrid. I would seed a portion and save the rest for later if you do not want too many.
Happy planting,
Rick

o

Good to know.... I just received about 50 seeds myself and plants a little more than half.. will try storing this way.. Thanks

Chuy

o

Thanks for the info Rick, I'm in the same boat with 30 seeds on the way and intend to plant only about half of them...

Scott

o

How long can I keep them stored? I want my first batch to flower before I plant new seeds.

Josette

o

I am not sure if there is a absolute as to how long you can store the seeds.
The longer they are stored, the germination %'s can reduced.
When I got my first batch of seeds I got 6 different hybrid forms of 20 seeds each. I planted them all which was a fair number, but with all of the different variables, germination%, numbers that survive, etc. Also, knowing that they would not necessarily come true to pod or pollen parent and caudex development. I wanted to be able to keep what I could to see when I was fortunate enough to get a first bloom on seedling.

If you keep them until you get a bloom on one of the seedlings, the seed could end up being 1-2 years old.
Rick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Adenium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here