Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
54641210d

Where to get soil and perlite off season?

54641210d
11 years ago

It's winter here in the tri state area, and no one is selling cactus potting soil or perlite. I checked home depot, walmart, stew lenards, and there are no "gardening shops". There's a bunch of flower and landscape shops, but I doubt they specialize or even carry adenium-like plants.

Where do I buy my materials?

By the way, the seeds I bought from adeniumcenter just came today! I wish I could plant them!

Josette

Comments (6)

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Josette, if your weather is still cold, wait until it warmer to plant the seeds. Home Depot has perlite and only cost few dollars per bag.
    If you can find a garden supply wholesale, the price is so cheap....I found one in Houston and get it from there.
    Marie

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    11 years ago

Josette,
    Maybe try some of the feed stores for livestock. Here in (Canada) most of them carry plants for annual planting in spring. They may have it in the back.
    If not that, possibly google to see if there are any garden clubs/societies in your area with a phone number to call and ask someone.
    I have found many interesting private nurseries this way.
    Hope you can find it. Never seems to be an issue here any time of year.
    Rick

• MRI_Guy
    11 years ago

Well Josette, there's always Amazon, they sell both, and if you're a Prime member, you can purchase them with free 2-day shipping. I'm fortunate to have a Stein Garden Center only a couple of miles from home that sells a full line of planting supplies, plants and DR's too. And every once in a while, I'll score a great cactus from Stein's as well...

Scott

• 54641210d
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I actually asked about when to plant the seeds and rcharles, or Rick, said he prefers to plant them between January and March, so that it'd be several months old when winter comes. If I am to hold off planting, how should I store time and for how long?

• kodom087 z9a
    11 years ago

I got my Miracle Grow cactus mix and perlite from Lowes. I've seen it at Home Depot as well. But I'd guess Amazon would be a great place if you can't find it at any nursery or garden center. I planted my seeds in October then set them inside a container placed on top of my internet modem in my closet until they sprouted. Then for the next 2-3 days I moved it off the modem/router into the window for light during the day then back on the modem/router at night until they all had sprouted.
    After that I just left them in the window and they've done great. Being in South Texas (Houston) our weather changes a lot in the winter from hot to cold to every thing in between. But things are starting to bloom outside and trees sprouting new leaves so it won't be much longer that I can then place my seedlings outside.

As for storing your seeds it is best to plant them as soon as possible as the viability of them gets less and less each month.To my understanding you can keep them in a sealed bag with no air (or as little as possible) and keep in the refrigerator for a while. Maybe someone that has had success in that area can be of more help.

Kirk

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    11 years ago

Hi Josette,
    I have stored my seeds for many months and they did not lose %germination from my experience.
    When to plant, I think is relevant to where we live and what conditions we can give.
    I received many seeds from Kukuan (Adeniumcenter) and he had told me to seed them in filtered light and not to move into full sun until they had 4-5 true leaves. Their full sun is by far more intense than mine here.
    I started seeds last Apr/May and they grew very well. I cannot safely have them out day and night here until Late April, so I prefer to start inside in early spring to give them a good start before going outside. This way they are older by the time winter comes and I do not then have to give them supplemental lighting over winter.
    You have to do what works for yourself.
    I am sure you will do well,
    Rick

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting