Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trip_kc

Strange arabicum seedling

trip_kc
11 years ago

Hi everybody
Inspired by beauty of adeniums I started collecting adeniums last year.
To have thrill of growing from zero I imported seeds from Mr Ko of Taiwan in Dec.As it was cold then I differed sowing.Sown first batch fortnight ago and overwhelmed to see germintation above 90 percent.
I observed one strange seedling among arabicums which had three initial leaves instead of normal two.What does it signify?
Suggestion on care and fertilization are welcome

Comments (17)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    11 years ago

I would think that it is just some sort of mutation. Whether it will produce three true leaves be interesting.
    Rick

• MRI_Guy
    11 years ago

trip_kc - I was going to make the same comment that fakechuchi did; consider it a 4 leaf clover and wish on it. Perhaps you should take it along to purchase a lottery ticket!

Scott

• clusty1
    11 years ago

I have a bunch with 3 cotyledons. They grew just fine. I was baffled myself when I first saw them

• trip_kc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Rick,
    Seedling with three intial leaves is under my constant observation.
    It had grown first set of true leaves.To my extreme surprise these are again three wheseas other seflings lead to two true leaves.
    Now I am extremely eager to know what shall I expect from this.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Hi everyone. Just taken a look at my seedlings ...and....I too have a three leaved one that I hadn't noticed! It's one of the obesum hybrids seeds that Rick sent me. So I'll be keeping an even closer eye on this one from now on. We will all have to compare notes!
    Gill from the UK.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    11 years ago

Trip_kc and Gill,
    Have to post photo's and keep us posted to see what the outcome is as they grow.
    Makes growing them even more interesting.
    Rick

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Hi Rick, yes I will do :) The seedling only has the triple cotyledon leaves at the moment so I'll wait and see what it does next before I add a pic.
    Gill from the UK.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Hi everyone. Just to let you know that my 3 seed leaved plant has now pushed out...3 leaves again. Will get some pics up tomorrow.
    Gill from the UK.

• trip_kc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Everybody
    this is the seedling with three leaves.I have provided it it's own pot and tagged it for strange behaviour.Let us see what it had in store for me.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Here's an updated pic of my triple-leaved-obesum-hybrid-seedlings progress so far, and it's doing OK. The pic shortens the errrr, tremendous height of said seedling as it's taken from slightly overhead to show the leaves better. It was either planted on 26th February or 5th March as I sowed my seeds in 2 separate batches. Anyway it is very similar in age to yours Teyo...if not in height, lol!
    Gill, UK.

{{gwi:339713}}

• ladylotus
    10 years ago

Gill,

Your seedling looks so nice and plump. I can't wait to see it by end of summer. We all should have some very nice seedlings to gawk at over next winters long months. ha ha.

Thanks for sharing the photo.

• Bob Davis
    8 years ago

Hey Gill, what ever became of the 3 cotyledon plant you had did it branch sooner than the rest. I just had one of my seedlings pop up with 3 cotyledon. I'm excited to watch it's progress.

• Dain (Zone 5a, high NM Desert)
    8 years ago

I had several three leafers, all of which are indiscernible from the others at 8 weeks out.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    8 years ago

Hello Bob, sadly my triple leafer went the same way as several other seedling DR's of mine, you guessed it....it died! One thing that I do recall was the fact that it produced one set of branchlets from each of the three nodes, so I would say that these type have the 'potential' to become a fuller plant given time. Whether those first set of branches would then go on to produce triple leaves and then go on and on, I honestly don't know as mine passed away at a relatively young age without ever reaching that stage. So if anyone does get one with three cotyledons, look after it carefully! Dain's plant however didn't do this, so I guess it's luck really?

Gill UK

• Sinha
    8 years ago

Hi All,

Sticking to this same thread to report an odd seedling of a thai soco sowed on 23 Sep 15 as part of the grow out.

The seedling produced a single fused leaf instead of two leaflets.pic below.terminal bud is intact and I don't know if it will produce normal leaves further on or all will be such fused ones....confused ones!

The other two have normal 2 leaves!

• whisst69
    5 years ago

lol maybe you can get heart shaped leaves...

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists