Return to the Adenium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A different view

Posted by adenium1949 UK (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 5:09

Hello all,
Adeniums get most attention for their exotic flowers and caudex, and no wonder! But I think their leaves can be an attractive feature also, especially those with long narrow leaves and prominent white veins as in the picture below. With flowers on top it looks like a small Rhododendron. The variety is 'Carmen'. I have a seedling of 'Star of Romance' showing similar characteristics, each leaf a full 5 inches long. Maybe feaf formation will be the next thing to get the hybridisers attention.
Happy growing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A different view

• Posted by Tolip Tropical (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 7:40

Adeniums are related to Oleanders too isn't it?

o

HelloTolip,
Yes they are, and I believe that adeniums can be grafted onto them very successfully although without the caudex.

Brian UK

o

Brian,
I agree with you that the leaves can be very fascinating in there own right.
That one is very nice.
It would be nice and maybe one day they will be focusing on much more with Adenium.
I remember years ago when I became involved with the Rhododendron Society here at home and subsequently now have well over a hundred on the property. I started out being drawn to the flowers and soon after the leaf was my main desire. It is nice with the Rhodo's that they a classes by Flower/Plant/Foliage. So it is the not only the flower , but the plants typical structure and how it grows and the foliage. Enough of that.
Wonderful observation from you.
Rick

o

Brian the pic you posted is truely a comfort for eyes.I never seen this varity of adenium before and really like to have one of these.I will show this picture to my local supplier , lets see if he can get me one.

o

Thank you Rick and Souradeep for your kind comments. The variety shown is from David Clulow in Venezuela via a local importer who unfortunately is no longer supplying his plants. I hope he continues to make his hybrids generally available through another outlet.

Brian UK.

o

Hello Brian, that is a lovely plant you have there, I have read a lot about David Clulow's work here on the web. Those leaves are truly striking and look very similar to those of plumerias/frangipanis which I used to grow. They also look extremely healthy too.
Gill from the UK.

o

I really like that specimen. Looks amazing!

Kirk

o

Thank you Gill, I think Ricks comment earlier that we begin by being attracted by the flowers then start to appreciate other characteristics is so true. Adeniums really score from every angle (and all stages).

Brian UK.

o

The leaves are gorgeous on your plant. I love that deep green/blue foliage with the white veining. Looks striking. You plant looks very healthy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Adenium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here